username3059844
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm starting a-level bio in 3 days and i'm really worried because I heard the gap from y12 to y13 is larger than the gap from gcse to as. Do you have any revision tips/advice? I heard the paper this year was really hard for aqa biology and ex-y13s from my school were crying after their exam.
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by student1004)
I'm starting a-level bio in 3 days and i'm really worried because I heard the gap from y12 to y13 is larger than the gap from gcse to as. Do you have any revision tips/advice? I heard the paper this year was really hard for aqa biology and ex-y13s from my school were crying after their exam.
As a Biology student who has recently finished A2 and only achieved a grade C, it is one of the difficult A-Levels and the gap is not understandable unless you've experienced it. I'd suggest making lots of notes and learning the knowledge firstly in-depth. Then do some questions and past papers, in order to identify where your weaknesses lie. Remember, although there is a lot of knowledge to learn, application is also a huge chunk of the paper(s). AQA is one of the hardest exam boards imo, especially for Biology. Also, the maths content and essay is also vital at A2, less at AS.

However, don't be disheartened if you're not on a grade A at AS, it is very difficult to understand as the mark schemes can be so specific, or in case of the maths questions, only have a list of answers and no working out. As for the essay, don't worry about that too much until A2, those 25 marks are god's gift if you suck at Paper 3 (which I'm sure you won't!)

Also, make use of your teachers and ask lots of questions, especially if you're unsure of any of the content from AS, as all of it comes up again at A2 in more detail.
VictiniCup
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some topics bridge the gap better than others. There are loads of content but keep up with your exam content, something I failed to do. Make sure you understand the questions as well.
lovelybow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't do it lol
TunaPal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As I recently posted on another Biology related thread, here are my revision tips:

• I started my content revision at Easter. I created mind maps with semi-condensed information from a topic, and then I created flash cards with fully condensed information from the topic.

• I then created flash cards with questions on them, and I tried to condense the answer into key words, with the idea being that at this point, I should be prompting my memory as I should already have this information stored.
• If I felt I knew a topic sufficiently well enough, I skipped the flash card process. To me, there’s no point going over something I knew inside and out already.
• Remeber that although Biology is a very content heavy subject, a lot of people tend to lose marks due to the specific mark scheme. Past papers are your best friend. My College was pretty good, and they made us do past paper questions all throughout the year, after we finished each topic, and if your College doesn’t do this for you, Physics and Maths Tutor provides past paper questions by topic for Biology.
• If you think you’re able to, try to teach yourself the content ahead of time. I taught myself a lot of A level biology in January time of my exam year, as prep for the Biology Olympiad. As I’d already taught myself the spec, my teacher allowed me to do past papers in lessons instead of having to listen to his lectures, which I found very helpful.

It’s also worth mentioning the grade boundaries this year - for AQA, this year, out of 260 possible marks, you needed 166 for an A*, 138 for an A, 116 for a B, and 94 for a C - so relatively low grade boundaries (certainly a drop from 2017).

The maths seems to be lot more tricky in comparison to the old spec, and more prevelant, so if you find maths, or applying maths in a scientific context difficult, I’d recommend revising that throughout the year too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.87%
I'm not sure (32)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.88%

Watched Threads