Can I do A-level maths with a level 6 at GCSE?

Watch
username4239442
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm going to register for my sixth form tomorrow, and I got a level 8 in GCSE physics, so I'd like to do it for A level. But in order to do physics, it would make sense to do A-level maths, otherwise the physics degree is pretty useless. Unfortunately, I got a level 6 at GCSE maths, but I was 2 marks off a 7. My school requires a 7 at GCSE to do A-level maths. For those who have been in a similar situation, how lenient are sixth forms with these situations? And if I don't get accepted into A-level maths, but still want to do physics, what do I do?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wole Oyeyele)
Hi, I'm going to register for my sixth form tomorrow, and I got a level 8 in GCSE physics, so I'd like to do it for A level. But in order to do physics, it would make sense to do A-level maths, otherwise the physics degree is pretty useless. Unfortunately, I got a level 6 at GCSE maths, but I was 2 marks off a 7. My school requires a 7 at GCSE to do A-level maths. For those who have been in a similar situation, how lenient are sixth forms with these situations? And if I don't get accepted into A-level maths, but still want to do physics, what do I do?
In my experience, schools that say they want a 7 are rarely lenient but you won't know until you ask. Physics without maths is perfectly doable at A level but you are right that degree level physics would be almost out of the question if you don't have maths A level.
FutureMedicJ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm in the same place that your in because i'm doing Biology and chemistry so it would also make sense for me to take maths for a levels but i was 6 marks off but to be fair i missed out on extra time on paper 1 and i also did Further maths GCSE but i only got a C in that since i didn't take it as seriously as i should have.
username4239442
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
In my experience, schools that say they want a 7 are rarely lenient but you won't know until you ask. Physics without maths is perfectly doable at A level but you are right that degree level physics would be almost out of the question if you don't have maths A level.
Registration is later on today. If they don't accept me for A-level maths, do you have any advice on what I should do? The school offers Core maths, but I don't think a core maths course has a very good reputation about it. Do you think I should do core maths if I want to do physics at later on at university?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wole Oyeyele)
Registration is later on today. If they don't accept me for A-level maths, do you have any advice on what I should do? The school offers Core maths, but I don't think a core maths course has a very good reputation about it. Do you think I should do core maths if I want to do physics at later on at university?
Hope you sorted it out.
Core maths is good if you are doing a mathsy subject like biology or psychology but won't be enough for physics.
If you haven't signed up yet and they are reluctant to let you do maths, ask for the chance to prove you are capable of success in maths perhaps by taking a make or break progress test early in the course.
username4239442
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
Hope you sorted it out.
Core maths is good if you are doing a mathsy subject like biology or psychology but won't be enough for physics.
If you haven't signed up yet and they are reluctant to let you do maths, ask for the chance to prove you are capable of success in maths perhaps by taking a make or break progress test early in the course.
It's 3:45PM today UK time. Thanks for the advice. I'll ask for a chance to prove my skill in maths. If they don't let me, I'll do core maths, which is still better than nothing. I read that core maths is equivalent to an AS and is enough for a few university engineering courses, but not many. Im also doing product design, and engineering interests me, so that another option with core maths.
username4239442
Rep:
?
Well, that was more straightforward than I expected... The teacher asked how many marks I was off a 7, and I told her that I was 2 marks off it. She signed me up to do maths, but said that if the maths department really doesn't want me to do A-level maths, she'll move me to Core maths, but I doubt that will happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (31)
42.47%
Take autumn exams (27)
36.99%
Look for a job (1)
1.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
2.74%
Take a year out (9)
12.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.11%

Watched Threads