The Student Room Group

I got a third class degree...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yt7777
Just applied to a grad scheme? Or applied to one with a third?

Just In general
Reply 21
Original post by Ultfail21
Just In general

Yeah I have applied to several, what do you want to know?
Reply 22
Original post by yt7777
Yeah I have applied to several, what do you want to know?

Were the application processes all quite similar and did you actually get accepted for any? Did they actually seem worh the time?
Reply 23
Were the application processes all quite similar and did you actually get accepted for any? Did they actually seem worh the time?

Yeah most quite similar, most of them are very log winded processes. Generally it will follow all, or a subset, of the following processes:

- Online Application
- Competency Testing (Usually maths/logic or comprehension based)
- Situational Testing
- Video Interview (e.g. HireVue)
- Phone Interview
- Assessment Centre (can sometimes be multiple)
- Final Interview (Sometimes conducted at the Assessment centre stage)

Yes, I got accepted for 4 schemes and currently on one now. It's a good route following graduating, you generally get lots of training, good salary and lots of support during the first 2 years of your career.

You may struggle with a 3rd though, most will require a 2:1 or 2:2 minimum and will filter out as you fill in the application form i.e. If you select your grade as a 2:2 for one that requires a 2:1 then they will automatically reject you. Similarly, for one that requires a 2:2 if you say you have a 3rd it's common for the online application form to just sign you out and display a rejection message.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by yt7777
Yeah most quite similar, most of them are very log winded processes. Generally it will follow all, or a subset, of the following processes:

- Online Application
- Competency Testing (Usually maths/logic or comprehension based)
- Situational Testing
- Video Interview (e.g. HireVue)
- Phone Interview
- Assessment Centre (can sometimes be multiple)
- Final Interview (Sometimes conducted at the Assessment centre stage)

Yes, I got accepted for 4 schemes and currently on one now. It's a good route following graduating, you generally get lots of training, good salary and lots of support during the first 2 years of your career.

You may struggle with a 3rd though, most will require a 2:1 or 2:2 minimum and will filter out as you fill in the application form i.e. If you select your grade as a 2:2 for one that requires a 2:1 then they will automatically reject you. Similarly, for one that requires a 2:2 if you say you have a 3rd it's common for the online application form to just sign you out and display a rejection message.

Thanks for that info :smile:
Reply 25
Thanks for all the advice on this thread, really just a bit bummed out, If my first year had counted towards the final degree would of got a 2:2. I was so close which is why it annoys me more but I understand this is something I am just going to have to deal with :frown:
Reply 26
Thanks for that info :smile:

No problem at all.

Good luck with your applications :smile:
.Helllo my beautiful!

Third class degrees, the dreaded Tora Hurd.

I have one of those! #Then I got a Masters to clear it up - its true that this works. Take a break from studying then get the career development loan. :smile:

I am living proof that 3 years after graduation I have had 2 successful jobs.

First I was working in a college looking after their labs then I started teaching to university level. - No one once ever asked me what I got in my undergraduate But they did ask me about the 2:1 I got in my Masters.

I now run several hospitals, once you start gaining experience no one asks you what you grade you got.

Get out there and start on an entry level job. Tell the interviewer you got a good grade and move one.
Reply 28
And the grad schem i want to go on requires a 2:2 what would you do in the situation

Before you say it i was lazy and dont deserve i did have reasons and during third year i just lost total motivation as it started to dawn on me pretty much how impossible itwould be to get into the industry i wanted. I really wish i made more thought into it after college. The course was also fairly hard if you simply just wasnt good enough and the lectures marked work harshly which is fair as they exspected industry standard. i was learning skills during the course so of course my work wasnt going to be top notch but just avergae. I tried but the standard was pretty much unrealistic if i wanted a life too. I have held a part time job throughout uni too so my focus wasnt always on uni and didnt have evey day to invest in uni as i worked to live also.

This happened to me as well while doing a Zoology degree many years ago back in 1982.

I had my library project savaged by a lecturer and felt obliged to rewrite it but being about 30 pages long on thin lined A4 paper it took me almost up to the time that I had to take my finals to rewrite it,.

My solution was to do an Open University degree in a related subject (Natural Sciences with Biology) for which I got a 2.1. I would have liked to have got a 1st and my course work would have been good enough for one but back then I was commuting and working full time and I had to write the numerous assignments (48!) using an automatic pencil rather than a computer.

That was my way out of this experience but it was a long one.

Doing a first degree at Birkbeck College, London University, might be another option if they do a subject that you are interested in but they may not let you redo similar courses to those which you have already done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending