Uni of York vs Newcastle Uni

Watch this thread
purple_cloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

I want to do English Literature at university and I'm stuck between York and Newcastle for my last choice.

I've been to York but I didn't like the campus - it looked a bit run down. However, I liked the course and it seemed like the English department were really driven.

I haven't been to Newcastle but I really like the look of the campus and the course seems really interesting to me. However, the overall environment is said to be really rowdy, whereas I'm more of a laid back person.

If anyone has experience or more knowledge of these unis I'd be very grateful!
punch4punchlol
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
my only experience in uni was farting in a jar and popping it in someones face... then I would punch their face

its in my name... punch4punch... except they dont give me one back....

jokes aside, I say the best thing for you to do is go and hunt a wild rat and eat it alive.
francescarlett
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I'm in third year at York doing English Lit and I can't recommend it enough, I know you've probably already seen it but here's a link to the course structure:
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergr...course-content. You're right to say that the department is very driven but it is also very open and friendly, they genuinely make you feel wanted and that your opinion on texts from all periods and genres - and the department really does cover every avenue of literature from across the globe and over time - are valuable to their own academic work. As a laid back person it may also suit you, I myself am similar and found that creating my own essay titles and being able to drive seminar group discussions as and when I wanted to was really helpful. It genuinely is a vibrant and fantastically stimulating course. It's a shame you found the university run down, I know there's a lot of building work happening but it is a very active university with so many student sports and societies which English students really get involved in, not least given our own societies events such as 'Poems and Pints'. I think for me York was a nice balance, although its a campus university, unlike Newcastle, its also only about a 10/15 min walk from the city centre which has almost everything from museums to a good nightlife and enough pubs and bars I think for each of the 365 days of the year! But also the Department is a world top 30 for English and I believe ranked no1 recently for research which s very very important in terms of its quality of teaching and for your dissertation! I've loved every minute in York and you've got to choose which uni you not only want to study at but also be happy for 3 years and for me York has provided a great combination of sports, my course and also future job opportunities.
QIWirelessCharge
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Likewise I was very disappointed with the look of the campus at the last open day, but it ticked every other box...almost... the mini lecture for English put me off slightly, being more a history lesson on 18th century fashion. Loved York City though. Not exactly an easy place to get into with AAA requirement. I want to look past the campus (architecture matters to me) and give the place a chance (assuming a lot about my grades). Any further encouragement?
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bxcks_)
Hey,

I want to do English Literature at university and I'm stuck between York and Newcastle for my last choice.

I've been to York but I didn't like the campus - it looked a bit run down. However, I liked the course and it seemed like the English department were really driven.

I haven't been to Newcastle but I really like the look of the campus and the course seems really interesting to me. However, the overall environment is said to be really rowdy, whereas I'm more of a laid back person.

If anyone has experience or more knowledge of these unis I'd be very grateful!
Hi bxcks,

Great to hear that you’re thinking of studying with us!

Our English Literature degree is currently ranked within the top 10 in the UK (The Complete University Guide 2019) and offers opportunities to practise creative writing and theatre, to make films or take a work placement in one of the region's cultural industries.

You’re right that Newcastle has a vibrant and lively side, with famous nightlife, but we have plenty to offer those looking for a more chilled atmosphere too! With plenty of theatres, art galleries, countryside and beaches to choose from there’s something for everyone. Why not take a look at some of our student blogs to see the wide variety of things our students get up to in Newcastle: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncours...-our-students/

Our current Freshers’ Week events timetable also gives you a good idea of the wide variety of things on offer here should you join us: https://www.nusufreshers.co.uk/daytime

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions and good luck with whatever you decide!

Valentina
study_buddy
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by QIWirelessCharge)
Likewise I was very disappointed with the look of the campus at the last open day, but it ticked every other box...almost... the mini lecture for English put me off slightly, being more a history lesson on 18th century fashion. Loved York City though. Not exactly an easy place to get into with AAA requirement. I want to look past the campus (architecture matters to me) and give the place a chance (assuming a lot about my grades). Any further encouragement?
Just a note, have you been across to Hes East Campus, that is the newer part of the uni. Although the English dept is on West campus, there is talk of transitioning stuff over to the new campus. Parts of the west campus could be seen to be run down e.g. Derwent college but at the end of the day, you are going there for the course not what the buildings look like. It isn't ranked one of the best courses for a joke. Obviously its a personal choice but at the end of the day, when you go on open days you only get a brief insight of what the campus is really like as some aren't even in term time and it can feel dead. Also I have certain lecturers for the course who aren't my favourite, but you have lots of lectures and some topics you won'tparticularly be interested in, but that helps you to focus more on the stuff you do like, which you will discover when you start. Just because you have a lecture on that topic, it does not mean you have to write about it, you can completely forget about it. If you have any more questions please ask!! But basically keep an open mind, York is a lovely place to study!
QIWirelessCharge
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for that. Maybe sometimes open days do the opposite of what they are meant to! I think I need to go back for another visit though. Thanks again for your advice.
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yorks a nicer city
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads