Did you damage your first car? Watch

nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Bought a brand new car when I passed and I am an example as to why you don't unless you're prepared to spend a lot.
Just a few things I've managed to do

Scuff 3x alloy, small crack on one from laziness (tried to u-turn in a road without doing a 3pt and whacked the curb) - £417
Got hit'n'run on back in March, had to repair damage to the rear passenger side panel (dented and scuffed) £300
Smoked my gearbox after getting a map, fixed by Ford under warranty as the issue was found not to be caused by the map, technically it was caused by me but they didn't really crucify me over it since it's hardly my fault it's made out of chocolate. Didn't need a new one. I was liable to pay 25% of the costs. Responded to it by getting a short-shift arm and then an uprated clutch and gearbox. - All in all £1200 all parts and labour, vat etc. Had my service done at the same time because why not.
Two tiny pen tip sized scuff marks on rear from reversing into a bollard, how that's all I came out with I'm not sure. Not going to bother fixing, car's getting wrapped next year and I'll take the hint when I hand it back for pex.
5 small chips to the bonnet from my first month when I didn't handbrake properly and went forward into a grille in a car park. - Not bothering to fix this either, a full bonnet respray is 300 quid, rather take the hit.
Couple of scuffs to driver side door from where I haven't left a big enough gap between me and my front landing wall and too lazy to get out the passenger side. - Not bothering to deal with this either since I'd probably just do it again anyway.

That's all in 9 months, I'm supposed to have this car for 4 years lol.
God Is A Woman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
I don't really see why you'd be afraid to push a wing mirror in. Those things can really take quite a beating.
I know that now, I didn't with my FIRST car when I had JUST passed
Aaron702
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wow no wonder insurance for young drivers is so expensive. I've done nearly 8000 miles since passing and haven't hit anything (hopefully it stays that way).
cbaforcba
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Blackpanther93)
No it’s wasn’t bad lol and yeah I could still drive it but I was still devastated
I get you, that's like whenever I scratched my car, very annoying at first, but I ended up forgetting about it after a while.
scorpion95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I didn't damage my first car someone else did. I parked next to a van and they reversed and turned at the same time not realising my car was there and scratched and dented the offside car doors. Blamed me for parking there and drove off. I still have my first car and have to look at the damage still, I should have done more to get it fixed but didn't. My partner hasn't damaged the car when used it but has scuffed the bumpers with stationary objects bumped into when parking.

It will be hard for me to get rid of her when the time comes.
mh800
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, I have done similar things. Tight parking and stationary objects have caused dents in my car all around, some big ones too. It happens so quickly. I have touched up the scrapes in the metal so there is no rust. My car has quite a few dents now but it drives just as well as before so it's fine.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Another one to add to the collection from a while back...

The road opened up before going back into a single lane. Went to overtake a lorry that was doing about 40 MPH, as I was about level with the legs of the trailer he starts drifting over. I was more focused on him and must've drifted over a bit myself and must've just barely clipped the kerb (looked like I had a tad bit of extra room to my right, so it must've been the slightest bit of kerb that I hit) on a central island doing ~60 MPH. Front right tyre came off the rim (not off as in completely came off but off as in it wasn't properly fit to the rim anymore) and was effectively destroyed, and dented both the front and rear rim.

It's a manoeuvre I've done plenty of times on this stretch of road and it certainly isn't lacking in space to perform such a manoeuvre, by the time my brain had registered what had happened, there was a very reasonable gap between the two of us so it wasn't as if it was one of those silly 'try and get past the lorry in this very small section of road'. It was a very calm night with virtually no wind so why he drifted over far enough to the point of being a danger on the road and causing an accident, which could've turned lethal (could've lost control and flipped the car, car could've veered off into some street furniture or another oncoming car) is beyond me.

Never stopped to help out or even check what happened, he was quick to get on the horn once I had slowed right down after overtaking him though... Didn't get the plate (other than the fact it was a Polish-registered lorry) or the company he was working for. Just another reason to have a dash cam I suppose, 100% would've got in contact with the company and the police for that move he pulled.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads