The Student Room Group

Who else notices the smell in the first room of Hex at Alton Towers?

I love Hex at Alton Towers. It is a brilliant ride. However, in the first room that you go into with the screen on the wall to watch the story of Hex, there seems to be a strong smell that I can't describe. It is quite an old and musty smell.

I always find myself having to hold my breath in that room, because it smells so rotten in there. The other rooms don't smell like that. It is just that one with the strong smell.

Who else notices this and doesn't like it?
I went here last week for the 5th time I think and I’ve never noticed?? I’ll ask my boyfriend who I went with
Probably one of the strangest questions I’ve seen posted to a student forum. 🤔
Original post by Trainboy2002
I love Hex at Alton Towers. It is a brilliant ride. However, in the first room that you go into with the screen on the wall to watch the story of Hex, there seems to be a strong smell that I can't describe. It is quite an old and musty smell.

I always find myself having to hold my breath in that room, because it smells so rotten in there. The other rooms don't smell like that. It is just that one with the strong smell.

Who else notices this and doesn't like it?

I can't say I've noticed a smell but sometimes they purposely release a smell to add to the atmosphere. Hex is based on the ride "Villa Volta" in Efteling in the Netherlands which was opened 4 years earlier. It was the first madhouse ride I'd been on. Hex is not as great as Villa Volta! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hannxm
I can't say I've noticed a smell. Hex is based on the ride "Villa Volta" in Efteling in the Netherlands which was opened 4 years earlier. It was the first madhouse ride I'd been on. Hex is not as great as Villa Volta! :biggrin:

I went to Alton Towers a few weeks ago and I went on Hex, but it didn't smell as strong as it did. I think during the "Towers loving care" refurbishment, they installed smell pods that weren't as strong smelling.

As for Villa Volta, I have never been on that, but it does sound good! :biggrin:
I went to Alton Towers a few weeks ago and I went on Hex, but it didn't smell as strong as it did. I think during the "Towers loving care" refurbishment, they installed smell pods that weren't as strong smelling.

As for Villa Volta, I have never been on that, but it does sound good! :biggrin:

Yeah possibly. I heard they added a urine smell to the Saw ride. It's definitely a thing they do. Madhouse rides are usually made to smell like old houses.
Original post by hannxm
Yeah possibly. I heard they added a urine smell to the Saw ride. It's definitely a thing they do. Madhouse rides are usually made to smell like old houses.

There is a smell inside Duel at Alton Towers (The ride where you shoot the animatronic zombies and monsters with laser guns) and the smell in there is a lot worse. It smells like rotten peanut butter in the entrance, and the ride itself smells like the London underground to me.
There is a smell inside Duel at Alton Towers (The ride where you shoot the animatronic zombies and monsters with laser guns) and the smell in there is a lot worse. It smells like rotten peanut butter in the entrance, and the ride itself smells like the London underground to me.

Either overdoing the smells, they're not cleaning things properly or at all or you're very sensitive to smells. :lol:
I went on Hex years ago, and I remember there being a smell too. It's too long ago to pinpoint what it smelled of, but it felt as though it was supposed to be like that.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I went on Hex years ago, and I remember there being a smell too. It's too long ago to pinpoint what it smelled of, but it felt as though it was supposed to be like that.

The smell is quite hard to describe. It is a bit like a dirty pool water type of smell. Not pleasant. 🤢🤢
Perhaps they had neglected to clear away the dismembered limbs of the previous occupants.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by FloralHybrid
Probably one of the strangest questions I’ve seen posted to a student forum. 🤔

Why?
Why?

Randomness.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Randomness.

It is a perfectly normal question. I have often wondered if the smell in Hex is an artificial smell or if it naturally smells that way because of the age of the building.
Original post by Profesh
Perhaps they had neglected to clear away the dismembered limbs of the previous occupants.

That's not funny.

Quick Reply