The Student Room Group

overpayment

Hi, So I was on a year abroad and I had to come home for medical reasons. Basically I got my loan before my studies were suspended. Now I lived off this money as it states I am able to do. When I reaplied for finance for my final year, that overpayment got dedicted from my final year. As a student who has no financial help from friends or family, not having this money is not an option. My rent for the year is £3500, which would leave me with around £11 a week to live on.

Now I have been told by SFE and SLC that if I voluntary pay this overpayment back then the around £3300 that was took off me would automatically be re applied to my finance. Meaning I can pay my bills, eat and actually live.

I am due to move back to uni in 12 days. Any idea when this will be reapplied or am I having my life took? because I am SICK to the death of not been given a straight answer. Surely you cannot let a person live on just over £10 a week.
Hi,

Students who feel that they will be put into financial hardship due to the recovery of an overpayment can apply for their overpayment to be deferred.

If you contact our office we can arrange for a hardship form to be sent to you.
Original post by dixiechick18
Hi, So I was on a year abroad and I had to come home for medical reasons. Basically I got my loan before my studies were suspended. Now I lived off this money as it states I am able to do. When I reaplied for finance for my final year, that overpayment got dedicted from my final year. As a student who has no financial help from friends or family, not having this money is not an option. My rent for the year is £3500, which would leave me with around £11 a week to live on.

Now I have been told by SFE and SLC that if I voluntary pay this overpayment back then the around £3300 that was took off me would automatically be re applied to my finance. Meaning I can pay my bills, eat and actually live.

I am due to move back to uni in 12 days. Any idea when this will be reapplied or am I having my life took? because I am SICK to the death of not been given a straight answer. Surely you cannot let a person live on just over £10 a week.

Firstly sorry to hear you were sick and hope you're better now

Tell me about it . I had an overpayment which was totally SFE's fault, yet I was to blame and never got an apology. All it was , was threat threat threat. Disgusting really when its essentially government body. They will go to hell and back before they admit any responsibility for anything that goes wrong, that they caused themselves through incompetence of their staff.

and yes SFE will never give you a straight answer - mainly because of reasons I've given.

I hope you are able to get some help with this - I sure wasn't.
It’s a nightmare. I’ve filled a hardshipnform in. I’ve had to submit bank statements to show I have no income, and proof that I have bills. I mean I need to eat, clothe and sanitise myself aswell as buy things to eat off, cook in, books and stationary on £40 a month! yet they want proof of this? Are they for real. With the loan I’ll be living on 71 pound a week, so it’s not even that much more. I’m sick to the bones I wish I never went to univertisty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending