American punk vs British punk

Watch
kafka99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
There wasn't that much difference between The Dead Kennedys and The sex pistols other than the Pistols happened about five years earlier. As I understand it Americans invented the term "Punk" but it was bands like Talking Heads and Blondie, they were "punk" 'coz they had short haircuts and didn't wear capes with loads of keyboards.. basically rebelling against the prevailing "**** rock" of Led Zeppelin and the like. This was the 1970's remember, When the term was hijacked by the British "Punk" bands, they added the anarchistic aggressive element and sold it back to the US. American. punk was more intellectual whereas British punk was nihilistic in it's approach,... or something.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Musically American but in terms of culture, influence and scene, British by far.

Unless you’re including 2000s pop punk lol
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved this out into a separate thread because the other one was 10 years old...

(Original post by kafka99)
There wasn't that much difference between The Dead Kennedys and The sex pistols other than the Pistols happened about five years earlier.
And that the Dead Kennedys were actually good and were actual punks, while the Sex Pistols were carefully crafted by Malcom McLaren, not to mention John Lydons a corporate sellout.
GeoJones94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Punk was a counter culture, musically against prog/stadium rock and was very DIY in its approach.

In my opinion The Dead Kennedys are more of a hardcore band then punk (in terms of musical genre). Hardcore was hugely influenced by the British Punk scene.

McLaren seized the opportunity of the climate at the time and the Pistols were born... Yep, that's as punk as it sounds.

Blondie had longevity because they adapted with the newer trends (not very punk) and became part of the new wave scene which granted them more fame then any of their punk exploits would've.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
29.59%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (44)
22.45%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (18)
9.18%
No - I live at home during term anyway (52)
26.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed