why is there pain and suffering?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What's the point? Why can't everyone be healthy and happy?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People are too selfish and its only getting worse. There is no sense of community anymore, there was a time when service was to your family, neighbors, friends and community, people today dont even give service to their parents. People dont count their blessings, people dont empower themselves for others anymore. There will never be absolute freedom from pain and suffering but there was a framework to dealing with it but in todays world even that’s crumbled. Liking or sharing a video ain’t gonna do s^^t, a lot people seem to only do charity for the picture. Helping people and being nice isn’t part of a lifestyle anymore, they do it to empower themselves, they use others to empower themselves (by making themselves feel above them) rather than truly empowering themselves (realising and understanding the power they have to make a difference) to help others infinitely.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is LIFE. We literally have enough food for every single person on this earth but people are selfish. We are the problem. No one else to blame but us humans. There are really horrible people in this world and there will always be some type of pain and suffering going on somewhere. It is life
sumi01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if your not suffering then how is god supposed to know how u would handle such situations? You need pain to make you a stronger person. And that’s what life’s about not everything is cheerful and sweet theres darkness everywhere! It’s reality
FailedMyMocks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is greater purpose to suffering. Makes you strong.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sumi01)
if your not suffering then how is god supposed to know how u would handle such situations? You need pain to make you a stronger person. And that’s what life’s about not everything is cheerful and sweet theres darkness everywhere! It’s reality
God makes no sense here, if it were to be Omniscient it would already know how you would cope, so no need to test you unless being cruel.
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s817)
Pain receptors have evolved to encourage us not to do stuff that damages us. We're only the temporary vehicles by which genes reproduce themselves; once you've brought your kids up you're pretty much obsolete from nature's 'perspective'.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FailedMyMocks)
There is greater purpose to suffering. Makes you strong.
Hardly, many people suffer as they die or experience unrecoverable injury. Losing a leg hurts and it doesn't make you stronger.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sumi01)
God is supposed to be omniscient and therefore doesn't need to make us jump through hoops to know how we would react.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What about a 5 year old that suffers and dies from bone cancer?
Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The pain makes happiness exist. If we were happy all the time, we would become bored of it and wouldn’t appreciate it. If we weren’t bored of it, either we wouldn’t be intelligent or we would have had lobotomies/constantly on heroine.
username2889812
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s817)
so life gets challenging...
why do you think there are obstacles and hurdles in a game?
username2889812
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
Hardly, many people suffer as they die or experience unrecoverable injury. Losing a leg hurts and it doesn't make you stronger.
True, physically it does not. But couldn't it lead an individual to empathise others who are disabled? Who knows, that disability would spark off a real friendship?
h333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If there was no suffering then I don’t think you’d know what happiness is or appreciate it.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by h333)
If there was no suffering then I don’t think you’d know what happiness is or appreciate it.
Bad logic. I enjoy food but I've never had to experience starvation.
I'm God
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
5x Kill streak
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
The pain makes happiness exist. If we were happy all the time, we would become bored of it and wouldn’t appreciate it. If we weren’t bored of it, either we wouldn’t be intelligent or we would have had lobotomies/constantly on heroine.
Uh? Do you need to be stabbed in the leg every day to remind you of how pleasant it is to not be stabbed in the leg? I've never been stabbed in the leg but I know it's a thing to avoid.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suppose I'm asking if there's comfort to be given to a child dying of bone cancer by telling them that the universe demands balance and that just as they suffer another child will experience corresponding happiness, playing on their XBox or whatever?
h333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But when you look at those who have no food and experience starvation, one is most likely to then appreciate it and be grateful for having the food. Actually, going without food for a moment when you’re very hungry should be enough to make you realise what starvation must be like so it’s not that you necessarily have to go through some long term of starvation. And you never know you may experience starvation in the future. Similarly, those who experience starvation often, when they are given or find food, it may mean the world to them.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pain and suffering is all biological. Nature instinct is to survive and pain is nature way to flee or fight to survive.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads