Letters after my name? When/if to use?

Watch
Sadieleigh95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently have a BSc (Hons) in Psychology and soon I will hopefully have a MSc in Psychology and have GBC membership.

So will my name be..... First name Surname BSc (Hons), MSc, MBPsS

??

Other than emails, when will I use my 'full name' ? On my CV?

Is it snobby or susceptible to teasing to use a post-nominal name? ??
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I use post-nominals on my CV. I rarely use it in emails tbh, unless I'm writing to someone important or I want to emphasise where I did my undergrad degree.

I guess with regards to regular using it in emails, it depends on the field you work in :dontknow:

I think some people can regard post-nominals (especially if there are lots of them!) as snobby/showing off. But don't let haters get you down if you really want to use them :smartass:
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sadieleigh95)
I currently have a BSc (Hons) in Psychology and soon I will hopefully have a MSc in Psychology and have GBC membership.

??

I only use my letters on official documentation when I am trying to make a point.

It is a bit pretentious to use them on ordinary emails.
User8612
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Post-nominals indicating a professional accreditation are fine, but listing undergrad and taught postgrad degrees is a bit ridiculous, to be honest.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

??

Conventionally, you rarely put post-nominals down. You certainly should be putting them on your CV, you just put First Name, Second Name on a CV, your degrees and awards etc are listed in their requisite sections.

Business cards are the commonest place to use them, if the conventions of your industry subscribe, eg academia.

Otherwise, its for others to use them when addressing you in a formal written manner, eg invitations.

Generally, yes, it is considered clumsy, gauche, snobby or whatever phrase you prefer to use post-nominals other than in formal written situations.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Never used mine at all.
princessmaire80
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mine are in my email signature but I write a lot of formal emails.
NetworkProblem
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

??

I have never used them. In my opinion I've always thought it looks strange in some circumstances, especially when you see people change their names on social media sites like Facebook to include it right after Graduation!

I get that people are proud of what they have achieved, but it's not necessary.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it is common in the industry you're in, then obviously do it.

In most cases, it is not necessary and comes off as try-hard. The pretentious people are not usually the most competent, so it could lose you business.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Use them if you want to sound like a vaguely creepy, sunglasses-wearing fad diet advocate with a PhD from a deeply suspect university that no one's ever heard of.
dsmith23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I once saw a friend of a friend put MSc in their Facebook name and it was pretty cringeworthy. I'd never use BSc and/or MSc personally in my name for anything, whether in a CV or in emails.
byPaul
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've noticed people do it on LinkedIn quite a lot. Sure it stands out, but probably not for the right reasons.

I would only ever use it in a very very formal setting (e.g. Newspaper article on a research topic etc)
Anndee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it entirely depends on the situation. I have two degrees and have been elected into the fellowship of a well-respected academic society, so technically I could use three post-nominals - but I've never used all three. The one I use most in formal situations, e.g. when it comes to applying for research money or contacting public bodies to request access to certain objects needed in my research, is definitely the fellowships, because people in my field will know it and it will add to my legitimacy and make them more likely to take me seriously. I don't think I've ever used the undergrad post-nominals. I've used the postgrad ones a few times when doing outreach work for the general public, so they'd be reassured I have at least some expertise in my field
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve got three degrees, two memberships and a qualification and it would look silly to use the postnominals all together. They get listed in appropriate sections on my cv and LinkedIn.
Deus_Ludo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Dont listen to these people! You need to read the whole thing out every time you say your name. Even if you're just ordering coffee. And when you do it you need to strike a different dramatic pose for each separate part. Round the whole thing off with a hair flick (doesn't matter if you have hair, just do the flick) and smile at whoever you're talking to. It works for me and I've only got a 20 meter swimming certificate.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

??

The only time I used mine (BSc (Hons), MA) was when I was contacting academics to ask for advice or emailing them to show interest in their work. It was a way of demonstrating my academic background without attaching a CV, which would have seemed ridiculously over the top.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (733)
33.86%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads