The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Bristol - Undergraduate Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
22 and an unconditional to study learning disability nursing, also have a previous degree :smile:
anyone else applying to any nursing fields and firming UWE? :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
I'm 32 and once my reference is done I will be applying to the foundation in health course following the midwifery pathway. I'm a bag of nerves about the whole process, applying as an individual and relying on life experience is terrifying! Has anyone done the same?
Original post by catbrand
I'm 32 and once my reference is done I will be applying to the foundation in health course following the midwifery pathway. I'm a bag of nerves about the whole process, applying as an individual and relying on life experience is terrifying! Has anyone done the same?

What’s your back ground and life experience? I’m
Sure you will be fine xxxx
Original post by Lilybrown92
What’s your back ground and life experience? I’m
Sure you will be fine xxxx

I'm a theatres HCA (mainly gynae) I've done a few shifts in obstetric theatres and I have 3 kids of my own so I've got my own experiences of pregnancy.

I've also don't a midwifery taster workshop at my hospital and do e plebty of reading on the subject. I'd like to have done more work experience but my hospital don't do work experience on maternity. I just hope it will be enough.

Spoke to my boss today and she's promised to have my reference done by the end of next week, I just hope it's not too late!
Original post by catbrand
I'm a theatres HCA (mainly gynae) I've done a few shifts in obstetric theatres and I have 3 kids of my own so I've got my own experiences of pregnancy.

I've also don't a midwifery taster workshop at my hospital and do e plebty of reading on the subject. I'd like to have done more work experience but my hospital don't do work experience on maternity. I just hope it will be enough.

Spoke to my boss today and she's promised to have my reference done by the end of next week, I just hope it's not too late!

For the foundation it’s more that you don’t have the qualifications, my friend got on to before and she had worked in a supermarket since leaving school so I wouldn’t worry about that, you just need to talk about transferable skills.

Do you have GCSEs, a levels or recent study? Xx
Original post by Lilybrown92
For the foundation it’s more that you don’t have the qualifications, my friend got on to before and she had worked in a supermarket since leaving school so I wouldn’t worry about that, you just need to talk about transferable skills.

Do you have GCSEs, a levels or recent study? Xx

Unfortunately I have no GCSEs as I left school at 15. I have done some modules via distance learning, a mixture of level 2 and 3, including English, maths, statistics, study skills and biology. Although the English, maths and statistics were about 5 years ago, the biology was only 2 years ago. I'm currently doing level 2 functional skills maths through a course provided by my employer, but I know UWE doesn't accept functional skills usually.

I've decided that if I don't get in this year, I am going to spend the rest of the year reading, getting as much work experience as possible and completing the functional skills so that next year I will be better prepared. I only just found that this course existed so I didn't really have much time to prepare!
Hey! I’ve got an interview for child nursing on Wednesday 9th Jan. have you had yours yet? Good luck!! X
Hey guys I’ve got an interview for Child Nursing at UWE on Wednesday (9th Jan) has anyone had theirs yet? I don’t know what to prepare would anyone share any tips please?? X
I haven’t heard anything yet! When did you hear back? X
Original post by Kirstyrees
I haven’t heard anything yet! When did you hear back? X

I applied on the 14th Dec and got my response on the 20th Dec ... when did you apply? Cx
I applied 3 days after you! X
Aw sounds like you should get a response soon then - taking into account with Christmas, bank holidays and with New Year just gone etc! Ahhh so nervous xx
Yeah, and maybe they do it in different Categories because I’m going for mental health nursing! I wish you all the luck.. try not to panic, just walk in feeling confident, positive and show how passionate you are about it! I believe in you! Let me know how it goes? Xx
Oh yeah haha most definitely ! Sorry just assumed it was the same type of nursing. Aw that’s so sweet thank you so so much ! I will let you know how it goes!! Good luck to you too xxx
Thank you! I know it’s hard not to worry, but worrying just makes the situation 100 times worse, I bet you’ll come out of there wondering why you was worrying xx
Original post by CharlotteEng
Oh yeah haha most definitely ! Sorry just assumed it was the same type of nursing. Aw that’s so sweet thank you so so much ! I will let you know how it goes!! Good luck to you too xxx

Hi charlotte good luck for your interview! so close! they have 10 pathway degrees after the foundation programme (if You're doing health professions), I've chosen Children's like you :smile:, I emailed the head programme leader at city of bristol and she said there was about 7 spaces for children's last year and think usually about 5 before that due to funding on the health professions, so it is pretty close knit, but if you're going straight for the children's degree..then scrap what I just said haha! From what Ive read from previous students apparently you're in a lil group get a picture scenario, Q&A of your strengths and experience and short essay about your chosen pathway, I wouldn't count on what I say as they may change it every year! but I wouldn't worry too much! Just know your personal statement and some background of children's nursing you'll be fine they just wanna see your personality shining through :smile: you'll be great ! good luck let us know how it goes xxx
(edited 5 years ago)
Have you heard anything yet? X
Have you heard anything yet? X

Yes my interview is on March 5th, you haven't heard back? maybe if you feel it is right, maybe worth emailing one of the programme leaders on the course? xx
Yeah, I’ll wait a bit longer, might do the courses in different stages xx
Yeah, I’ll wait a bit longer, might do the courses in different stages xx

yeah hopefully they won't keep you waiting too long! I'm sure you will hear back very soon, keep looking out for an email / uwe welcome :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending