PoetryBlues
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiya, I've never posted anything like this before so it feels pretty strange!

Over the summer I had great plans to revise everyday, but somehow that all seemed to fall out the window. Technology has gripped me! I have today and tomorrow to complete all my summer homework... (I know, I'm a terrible person ).

This thread is an attempt to get back on track with revision, as making my journey public is (hopefully) going to give me the motivation I need.

By TSR standards my GCSEs are very poor - 1A*, 3 As, 3Bs, and 3Cs.
For AS level I got 2 As and a B (my subjects are Sociology, English Language and English Literature) and my aim is to study joint Literature and Language at Reading or York.

For A levels I would love an A* in either of the Englishes (although both would be amazing) and I think the only thing holding me back now is motivation to revise, revise, revise!

So I'll try to update this once or twice a week with how I'm doing; school starts back on Thursday and I'm (kind of) ready to go!
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi i am starting year 12 tommorow! super nervous! i will take english lit , maths, economics,psychology

its amazing you got an A/B i heard so many people say that they got E/U even when they worked very hard,i dont understand

can you give me some revisiion tips for english? how many hours did u revise a day to get a A/B in As? how hard do you find the course?
PoetryBlues
Rep:
?
(Original post by Presence)
hi i am starting year 12 tommorow! super nervous! i will take english lit , maths, economics,psychology

its amazing you got an A/B i heard so many people say that they got E/U even when they worked very hard,i dont understand

can you give me some revisiion tips for english? how many hours did u revise a day to get a A/B in As? how hard do you find the course?
Hiya, good luck for tomorrow! So many people will be feeling nervous like you so it's a great way to start conversations and meet new people! And all the teachers will be there to help and show you around, so don't worry.

After the Christmas holidays I began properly to revise, and I aimed for 2 hours a day in total across all subjects although this sometimes changed. For me, Literature definitely took up the majority of my time, although you might not find that as you're taking different subjects (by the way they look really interesting!).

My tips for doing well in Literature would be:

- If you can, try to read the books in advance, that way you'll be aware of the plot and characters straight away and can form a far more cohesive understanding of the texts. When everyone else is reading the book for the first time, you'll be RE-reading it and solidifying the knowledge and quotes!
- For me, I found the best way to remember quotes was by repetition. If you make a list of the quotes you want (and don't be afraid to make the list long, despite what people may say) and then read these and say them out loud every day I'm sure they'll go in quickly. Try writing them back out from memory and highlight *problem* quotes to focus on more.
- One of the biggest helps is really evaluating why you got your mark in class mocks and tests. Some people get them back, look at the grade/mark and then ignore it. But whether you lost 2 marks or 10 marks, it's SO helpful to see where and why they were lost. Definitely ask a teacher if you're not sure.

Those are the main things that worked for me. Hope they helped. Good luck for tomorrow Image
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PoetryBlues)
Hiya, good luck for tomorrow! So many people will be feeling nervous like you so it's a great way to start conversations and meet new people! And all the teachers will be there to help and show you around, so don't worry.

After the Christmas holidays I began properly to revise, and I aimed for 2 hours a day in total across all subjects although this sometimes changed. For me, Literature definitely took up the majority of my time, although you might not find that as you're taking different subjects (by the way they look really interesting!).

My tips for doing well in Literature would be:

- If you can, try to read the books in advance, that way you'll be aware of the plot and characters straight away and can form a far more cohesive understanding of the texts. When everyone else is reading the book for the first time, you'll be RE-reading it and solidifying the knowledge and quotes!
- For me, I found the best way to remember quotes was by repetition. If you make a list of the quotes you want (and don't be afraid to make the list long, despite what people may say) and then read these and say them out loud every day I'm sure they'll go in quickly. Try writing them back out from memory and highlight *problem* quotes to focus on more.
- One of the biggest helps is really evaluating why you got your mark in class mocks and tests. Some people get them back, look at the grade/mark and then ignore it. But whether you lost 2 marks or 10 marks, it's SO helpful to see where and why they were lost. Definitely ask a teacher if you're not sure.

Those are the main things that worked for me. Hope they helped. Good luck for tomorrow Image

thank you , my school set summer work which is to read 2 books - jane eyre/ othello so i guess this is what we'll study , i just joined the school on results day so i havent finish reading them yet x nearly there thoughx the words are so much harder then gcse and so thick , so many pages!!

can i ask , is there a lot of wider reading required ? i heard that a level requires much more wider reading, did your teachers provide the texts or did they just tell you to find something to read yourself?
PoetryBlues
Rep:
?
(Original post by Presence)
thank you , my school set summer work which is to read 2 books - jane eyre/ othello so i guess this is what we'll study , i just joined the school on results day so i havent finish reading them yet x nearly there thoughx the words are so much harder then gcse and so thick , so many pages!!

can i ask , is there a lot of wider reading required ? i heard that a level requires much more wider reading, did your teachers provide the texts or did they just tell you to find something to read yourself?
We did Jane Eyre as well. The useful thing about that book is that because it's so common there are loads of additional resources for it. But you'll get used to the workload don't worry.

In terms of wider reading I didn't do a great deal. I looked up bits for critical analysis and context for each of the books but that was only using short articles and what the teachers gave us in class. So I don't think you HAVE to read loads of additional information at AS level but I'm sure it would help. I'm guessing you're not doing AS levels anymore, is it just A level straight away? A lot of schools have stopped AS now.

Wider reading just as a hobby is really good though, just reading what entertains you even if it's not high level, especially as it helps with your own writing style and accuracy and stuff like that.
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PoetryBlues)
We did Jane Eyre as well. The useful thing about that book is that because it's so common there are loads of additional resources for it. But you'll get used to the workload don't worry.

In terms of wider reading I didn't do a great deal. I looked up bits for critical analysis and context for each of the books but that was only using short articles and what the teachers gave us in class. So I don't think you HAVE to read loads of additional information at AS level but I'm sure it would help. I'm guessing you're not doing AS levels anymore, is it just A level straight away? A lot of schools have stopped AS now.

Wider reading just as a hobby is really good though, just reading what entertains you even if it's not high level, especially as it helps with your own writing style and accuracy and stuff like that.

thank you , i dont know but i asked my teacher and he said if we find the subject too hard we can drop it after year 12 to 3 a alevels , i saw on uni applications that even though a leels changed they still have a look at it

i want to read more books but i never was a bookworm and i read super slow , something i need to work on haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (46)
41.07%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
8.93%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.04%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.71%

Watched Threads