DDrag's Laptop recommendation thread

Watch this thread
DDrag
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Budget
More than £1000

Subject being studied
Mechanical Engineering

Software that will be used
Microsoft Office, maybe engineering software that may be required for my degree

Screen size
13.3 inches

Operating system preference
MacOS

Minimum amount of RAM
8GB

Minimum battery life
8 hours

Minimum storage requirement

Weight limit
2kg

Used for playing games?
Yes

If yes, what games?
League of Legends

Touchscreen needed?
No

Are there any specific ports you need?
-

What devices do you have currently?
Samsung Galaxy S8, HP Pavilion with third gen i5

username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DDrag)
Budget
More than £1000

Subject being studied
Mechanical Engineering

Software that will be used
Microsoft Office, maybe engineering software that may be required for my degree

Screen size
13.3 inches

Operating system preference
MacOS

Minimum amount of RAM
8GB

Minimum battery life
8 hours

Minimum storage requirement

Weight limit
2kg

Used for playing games?
Yes

If yes, what games?
League of Legends

Touchscreen needed?
No

Are there any specific ports you need?
-

What devices do you have currently?
Samsung Galaxy S8, HP Pavilion with third gen i5
Is MacOS an absolute must? Because if so, your option is essentially just buy the best MacBook Pro you can afford. Wait until next week though, Apple are expected to reveal and release an update to their laptop line, hopefully moving the whole line to quad core and maybe even introduce an option .with dedicated GPU that isn't absurdly expensive.
DDrag
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Its not aboslute must but highly preferred, and I was planning on buying it before the end of this month in time for university so waiting till next week is no problem.

Incase MacOS isn't viable, what Windows laptops could fit the bill? I'd prefer a Mac but if it's not suitable for my needs I would have to look into a Windows.

Thank you very much for your help
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DDrag)
Its not aboslute must but highly preferred, and I was planning on buying it before the end of this month in time for university so waiting till next week is no problem.

Incase MacOS isn't viable, what Windows laptops could fit the bill? I'd prefer a Mac but if it's not suitable for my needs I would have to look into a Windows.

Thank you very much for your help
The gaming part is the big issue with macs. Even with LoL being relatively easy to run, it really needs a dedicated GPU to run well at 1080p and above, and none of the 13" models of MacBook Pro have any dedicated graphics at all (the only models that do are 15" and are ludicrously poor value). However several Windows manufacturers have been making ultraboooks-style laptops with "proper" dedicated graphics for a while now, meaning you can get something small and lightweight that will happily play graphically demanding games too.

If you'd rather have OS X than gaming performance and don't mind playing LoL at lower settings and sub-native resolutions, then sure, wait for the reveal next week and buy whichever model meets your maximum budget. If you want to play LoL at proper settings and have graphics headroom to spare for other more demanding titles, let me know your max budget and I can make suitable Windows suggestions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (87)
42.65%
They're exactly what I expected (46)
22.55%