SudanesePrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My head feels like its going to implode.

The Case for Physics:

Pros:

More choice at degree level as there are more courses that REQUIRE physics than there are that REQUIRE biology, even the bio... ones don't require bio
"More interesting" according to people on the forum
More intellectually impressive according to people on the forum
You can still do medicine(are all medical schools open to me? Which REQUIRE bio?)
There is a new physics teacher that may be good
There are parts that I like Particle physics, Nuclear physics etc.
Further Maths is more useful

Cons:

I am not entirely sure if I like the subject, GCSE was shaky, The tester session was not representative at all as it consisted of heating up a metal ball (I don't even know what the course is like in detail)
There are parts of physics that I dislike or find boring (Classical mostly)
The new teacher could be bad
I will have no bridging work prepared
The teaching quality is noticeably worse compared to bio
I don't feel particularly comfortable when doing physics
So many physics horror stories (what about it is so hard? Is it worse than A level chem?)

The case for Biology:

Pros:

I like Bio more.
The teaching quality is great
I believe it still has the upper hand if you're going down the bio route (medicine, bio chem, pharmacy etc.)
I feel more comfortable doing Bio
I have done a considerable amount of bridging work

Cons:

It is seen as a memorising course apparently
A lot of engineering is "locked up" requiring physics
Further Maths loses a lot of its utility

Please help, I have mulled over this decision all summer as it will affect me for a long time.

My current plan is taking physics for a period of time (how long would you recommend?). Then once sampling the quality of the new teacher and the teaching as a whole (I think it is pointless to use this to gauge how much I like physics as we will probably start with particle physics, which I like and I will meet the undesirables further down the line.) I will either defect to Bio or continue. Finally I would like to know, am I disadvantaging myself in ANY way by taking physics rather than bio in the face of medicine.

Many thanks in advance,

The Sudanese Prince,
ZdYnm8vuNR
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As soon as you mentioned
(Original post by SudanesePrince)
I have a unconditional love for Bio

the debate was over. Do biology.
SudanesePrince
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR)
As soon as you mentioned

the debate was over. Do biology.
Ok that was incorrect, I like bio more. Sorry, but that could because I do not know physics enough, my bio teacher was very inspiring always bringing outside info about bio in, spicing up dry GCSE. Whereas my Physics teacher was more like we learn, for the exam.
Lau2en _
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends of what you want to do in the future and on your other options. Biology seems a lot better for medicine even though chemistry is usually the only requirement. Most universities prefer bio, chem and maths/physics. But you can’t really take physics without maths so. But from what you’ve said it seems like you’d rather do physics and especially with doing further maths. From what you’ve said, it seems like you’d find physics more interesting and it matches with your subjects better so I’d recommend that and maybe a different career path. Use the which university website to look into what A Levels lead to what courses. https://university.which.co.uk/courses
Xeuveux
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess you're taking Maths and Further Maths. If that's the case, physics would match that the best, however, if you're looking for a career in medicine/healthcare, then take Biology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (50)
60.98%
No (32)
39.02%

Watched Threads