Lau2en _
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I start Sixth Form next week and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I know the usual stuff like keep on top of it and file stuff but if anyone had any weird and unusual tips that would be really useful. I’m taking biology, chemistry, maths and the EPQ. The advice doesn’t have to based around those subjects but anything specific would be useful too.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lau2en _)
So, I start Sixth Form next week and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I know the usual stuff like keep on top of it and file stuff but if anyone had any weird and unusual tips that would be really useful. I’m taking biology, chemistry, maths and the EPQ. The advice doesn’t have to based around those subjects but anything specific would be useful too.
Decide which friends you want.
Have good relationships with the teachers as they can help. Same goes for the exam officer, head of sixth and headteacher.
Start planning the 2 year journey including what money you might need and revision books to buy.
Start using careers.
Think about work experience and extra curriculars.
get the EPQ out of the way in year 12 or and including the summer between 12 and 13.

Start keeping lists of resources you can be using.
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When exam season approaches, I suggest that you prepare for your examinations early so that you are fully prepared and can ace them. You do not want to end up panicking on exam day like some students end up doing.

Form good bonding relationships with your teachers. It is good when you are able to communicate well with your tutors and can have a bond with them. Sixth form is a great time to mature and is not a time to be having arguments with teachers.

Be friendly with everyone. At sixth form, everyone is pretty much friends or are friendly towards each other. It helps to bond with each other.

You'll have a chance to watch movies/series etc, that is if you are given a laptop by your sixth form or if you bring your own. Just make sure it doesn't take up too much of your time, especially when assignments are due and when exams are coming up.

Sixth form may sound stressful but it is not if you are well prepared and are good at time management. Have fun whilst at it, you do not want to be stressed and depressed throughout your sixth form journey. Remember that your tutors are always there to help.

Participate in school events if they interest you. I'm sure there will be events held by the sixth form and they always are a great fun.

In the summer, when work experience week takes place. Ensure that you know what you want to do and attempt to secure a place early so that you do not end up doing something that you do not like.

If you are planning to go to university after sixth form, have an idea of what course you want to do. It'll make it easier for when you enrol into Year 13 and university preparation begins in October/November.

Overall, make sure to stay on time with assignments and prepare for your exams early. Make sure you have fun and try not to stress out too much! Good luck on starting sixth form next week!
Lau2en _
Rep:
?
Thank you
elliemclaughlin1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, look after your mental health in sixth form its not worth sacrificing thats my biggest advice
Lau2en _
Rep:
?
Thank you
ally2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi! This is probably too late but I think people will still find it useful, I’ve recently written a Sixth form blog post (link there) with a basic overview of sixth form and how to handle the many responsibilities that come with A Levels!
Us15
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Don’t want to sound like I’m saying you can’t do it but I would recommend reconsidering EPQ as the people who do it at my sixth form are having a really tough time of it plus you’re other subjects require a lot of time since they’re quite difficult especially chemistry just my opinion though if you feel like you can manage and really want to do epq go for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate