The Student Room Group

Training Contract Applications 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ILoveProteinToo
i was wondering the same thing as I just found out I passed last night. Mind if I ask what score/percentile you got?

84, I keep checking my emails everyday because I just want to know what the answer is even if it’s a rejection
Original post by KatyGrace8888
84, I keep checking my emails everyday because I just want to know what the answer is even if it’s a rejection

I got about the same, I hope we hear back soon one way or the other.
I got about the same, I hope we hear back soon one way or the other.

Me too, I’m gonna post when I get a reply
I have begun my applications...well, I'm applying for the vacation schemes at the same time. Just did my DLA Piper internship application although I haven't done the verbal reasoning exam yet, I just did the practice one and got 21/30 which is a bit disappointing, I was hoping to score higher than that. Does anyone know if that's acceptable enough or do successful applicants usually score very highly? I've been out of education for a year and a half now and on maternity leave since May so my intellectual capabilities aren't so great right now! I used to be excellent at verbal reasoning, sigh. I did really rush the practice though and my 6 month old was crying in the background for the second half plus I am already very stressed about other events that I had to deal with this morning so I'm hopeful I may do better on the actual exam.
Hey there,

21/30 (70%) is certainly not a bad score for a first go. Verbal reasoning tests are all about practice, it is simple as that. Invest 30 quid and get yourelf an account on assessmentday.com. There are loads of tests on that website, so you'll become and expert in no time at all. My biggest tip for verbal reasoning tests, is to base your answer solely on the text in front of you. Do not try to infer meaning - you will go wrong. It is also very important that you do these tests when you are feeling refreshed, calm, in a good mood and in total silence. Ambient noise always messes me up.

I often found when I first started, that I was also unwilling to put cannot say. If the text does not confirm the statement - it will be cannot say.

Just keep practicing and your score will go up, I promise.

All the best,

A.

(Original post by Unconventional.)I have begun my applications...well, I'm applying for the vacation schemes at the same time. Just did my DLA Piper internship application although I haven't done the verbal reasoning exam yet, I just did the practice one and got 21/30 which is a bit disappointing, I was hoping to score higher than that. Does anyone know if that's acceptable enough or do successful applicants usually score very highly? I've been out of education for a year and a half now and on maternity leave since May so my intellectual capabilities aren't so great right now! I used to be excellent at verbal reasoning, sigh. I did really rush the practice though and my 6 month old was crying in the background for the second half plus I am already very stressed about other events that I had to deal with this morning so I'm hopeful I may do better on the actual exam.
Original post by KatyGrace8888
Me too, I’m gonna post when I get a reply

Have you heard back yet by chance? Starting to think if I haven't heard this close to the assesment center then I'm out of the running.
Reply 26
Hi. I passed the WG for the CC TC but haven't heard back. Wondering if this is a good thing? Have they sent invites for vacation schemes interviews which are scheduled to happen before the TC ones?
Original post by SB2019
Hi. I passed the WG for the CC TC but haven't heard back. Wondering if this is a good thing? Have they sent invites for vacation schemes interviews which are scheduled to happen before the TC ones?

I’m in the same position.
Yes they seem to have sent vacation scheme AC invites/rejections. So I assume direct TCs should hear any day now. On the website they say TC ACs will be from 28 jan.
This week is a bit of return to work for most ppl. So I’m thinking we should hear next week to give sufficient time to prepare if we were invited.
Anxious waiting game on the CC front.
I must stress this is all pure speculation from me!!!!!!!!!
Original post by b3k3b3k3
Just received an interview invite from Linklaters :smile:

Hey congrats! May I ask when you applied?
Original post by MashiePotatoes
Hey congrats! May I ask when you applied?

Thanks. I applied 6th of December
Original post by b3k3b3k3
Thanks. I applied 6th of December

Thanks so much, a bit of a relief. I sent my WG in on 18 December so I'm still hoping that "Decision made" can be converted into "Invited to Interview"...
Original post by MashiePotatoes
Thanks so much, a bit of a relief. I sent my WG in on 18 December so I'm still hoping that "Decision made" can be converted into "Invited to Interview"...

When I applied last year, "Decision made - [Date]" was swiftly followed by a rejection email. I hope it's not the same this year and you have better luck than I did!
Original post by Blann
When I applied last year, "Decision made - [Date]" was swiftly followed by a rejection email. I hope it's not the same this year and you have better luck than I did!

oh no! Thanks Blann. Mine was done on 19 Dec? Maybe I'll write in to ask
Reply 33
@lawdreams
Ah, I see! This week is also gone and I didnt get anything. Do let me know if you get your result! So anxious!
I submitted my application (Clifford Chance) on the 14th of December and I still haven't heard back. A bit worried to be honest. Did quite well on the online test tho.
Original post by JustinLala
I submitted my application (Clifford Chance) on the 14th of December and I still haven't heard back. A bit worried to be honest. Did quite well on the online test tho.

As far as I know CC only wants you to pass the test; it does not matter if you got 100% or 50%, if you passed you're fine. Also, don't worry too much about the wait. CC has recently sent out their Vac scheme acceptance letters so now they will focus on the TCs. No one has yet been offered a TC as far as I know.
Original post by miki3999
As far as I know CC only wants you to pass the test; it does not matter if you got 100% or 50%, if you passed you're fine. Also, don't worry too much about the wait. CC has recently sent out their Vac scheme acceptance letters so now they will focus on the TCs. No one has yet been offered a TC as far as I know.

Thanks.:smile: I will post when I get a reply from the firm.

Where did you hear that? I’m pretty sure I read that they take your score into account as part of their application (not a huge part, but they do consider it).
Where did you hear that? I’m pretty sure I read that they take your score into account as part of their application (not a huge part, but they do consider it).

Normally they compare your score against their current trainees and if it’s comparable, you will pass to the next stage. If then, for some reason, there are two equally good candidates in terms of their app, CC will then look at their WG score to differentiate between them. But this is very rare. Of course try to score as high as you can! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Normally they compare your score against their current trainees and if it’s comparable, you will pass to the next stage. If then, for some reason, there are two equally good candidates in terms of their app, CC will then look at their WG score to differentiate them. But this is very rare. Of course try to score as high as you can! :smile:

Fair enough, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending