This discussion is closed.
jj.repinec
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just wanted to create this thread for people that got A*A*A - A*A*A* in A-Level and are not going to uni. I myself got A*A*A in Maths,Biology and Chemistry and didn't get an offer to medicine so I'm wondering what people in a similar position are doing now and your plans going ahead.
death07/08/17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surely you can apply again this year? Those grades would definitely get you on a course if you interviewed well.
Presence
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
who could you not get an offer?? confused
jj.repinec
Rep:
?
(Original post by death07/08/17)
Surely you can apply again this year? Those grades would definitely get you on a course if you interviewed well.
Hopefully, just have to make sure put a lot of hard work into this year (very easy to say) I've decided to take a gap year but Im just curious on what people in similar situations are doing.
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jj.repinec)
Hopefully, just have to make sure put a lot of hard work into this year (very easy to say) I've decided to take a gap year but Im just curious on what people in similar situations are doing.
make sure your gap year is medicine related or related to helping people.
jj.repinec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maths&physics)
make sure your gap year is medicine related or related to helping people.
Could you give me any examples?
jj.repinec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Presence)
who could you not get an offer?? confused
Applying for medicine means you have to showcase more than just your grades. First of all there's the admissions tests (UKCAT or BMAT) and then interviews which are done by every university.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just wanted to create this thread for people that got A*A*A - A*A*A* in A-Level and are not going to uni. I myself got A*A*A in Maths,Biology and Chemistry and didn't get an offer to medicine so I'm wondering what people in a similar position are doing now and your plans going ahead.
What feedback did you get from your universities? 60% of applicants don't get a medicine offer at all so it's not uncommon. But what about your insurance choice?

Also, I'm going to move this to the Medicine forum - it's really more relevant in there with a tweaked thread title
jsmith6131
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also make sure it broadens your experience. eg volunteering abroad / with groups or people you aren't normally exposed to
jj.repinec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
What feedback did you get from your universities? 60% of applicants don't get a medicine offer at all so it's not uncommon. But what about your insurance choice?

Also, I'm going to move this to the Medicine forum - it's really more relevant in there with a tweaked thread title
Two of my universities (Bristol and Southampton) were completely useless and didn't provide me with any feedback which seemed absurd. St George's created a UKCAT cut-off score about 2 weeks after I applied there for the first time which completely annoyed me because I wouldn't have applied there in the first place if I had known this. Then UCL reasoning was due to my poor interview and were actually helpful with their feedback. I did get an insurance choice to study Biomedical Sciences at UCL but chose to not take it.
Uyirpeariel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My friend got A*A*A* but didn't get into vet because she didn't have enough experience
SudanesePrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did get an insurance choice to study Biomedical Sciences at UCL but chose to not take it.
Why not? So what *is* your plan instead?
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
I scored A*A*A*AAA (don’t ask why I did so many - completely pointless) and didn’t get a single offer for Medicine when I first applied. I’m now half way through Med School though after reapplying so don’t give up if that’s what you want to do. Let me know if you have any specific questions - I remember the frustration well.
Username6000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wait which unis did you apply to??? How the hell did you not get any offers
jj.repinec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Why not? So what *is* your plan instead?
Planning to take a gap year and reapply, I want to know what other people in a similar position are doing.
Wanttobemed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, just wanted to say I was in this position this time last year (got A*A*A but no med offers) and as said above it's very common. I've spent the year working as a carer at a nursing home and am about to start studying medicine in a few weeks. Can 100% recommend trying to get a job as a carer/ HCA if you can and seeing how it goes with reapplication-lots of people are successful the second time with more experience/ maturity. Well done on your grades and good luck!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Planning to take a gap year and reapply, I want to know what other people in a similar position are doing.
But how will you improve your application?

And I'm not an expert in Medicine but I wonder if the A in Chem will still limit your options.
Presence
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Applying for medicine means you have to showcase more than just your grades. First of all there's the admissions tests (UKCAT or BMAT) and then interviews which are done by every university.
i start year 12 tomorrow so i didn't know much about that , is that just for medicine?
jj.repinec
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wanttobemed)
Hi, just wanted to say I was in this position this time last year (got A*A*A but no med offers) and as said above it's very common. I've spent the year working as a carer at a nursing home and am about to start studying medicine in a few weeks. Can 100% recommend trying to get a job as a carer/ HCA if you can and seeing how it goes with reapplication-lots of people are successful the second time with more experience/ maturity. Well done on your grades and good luck!
Appreciate your post a lot, thank you. I just want to ask what universities you applied to and the scores you got in either UKCAT or BMAT (and possibly your scores when you were applying first time).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?