Yellowtree123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it worth I reapply to Oxford with A Level grades A*AAA, the A* being in history. Last time round I was very unprepared for the HAT, however I feel that with the A2 work, passing the HAT would be easier.
My GCSE grades are 2×A*, 4×A,4×B, (Low for Ox but presumably not an issue now that I have received my a level grades)
My reasons for reapplying to Oxford are my fears that I won't be intellectually challenged enough at my confirmed university, UCL, and that employment prospects won't be as great.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you may be better off applying to Cambridge as they don't put as much emphasis as Oxford on GCSE's.
Maths&physics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yellowtree123)
Is it worth I reapply to Oxford with A Level grades A*AAA, the A* being in history. Last time round I was very unprepared for the HAT, however I feel that with the A2 work, passing the HAT would be easier.
My GCSE grades are 2×A*, 4×A,4×B, (Low for Ox but presumably not an issue now that I have received my a level grades)
My reasons for reapplying to Oxford are my fears that I won't be intellectually challenged enough at my confirmed university, UCL, and that employment prospects won't be as great.
what makes you think you wont be "intellectually challenged" enough at UCL?
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Grade A)
I think you may be better off applying to Cambridge as they don't put as much emphasis as Oxford on GCSE's.
but they put more emphasis on A-levels and A*AAA is hardly going to blow them away.

cambridge has a higher academic standard than Oxford, so id say this is bad advice. how many people do you know that got rejected by oxford but got into cambridge and vice versa? for me, the latter is more prominent.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
but they put more emphasis on A-levels and A*AAA is hardly going to blow them away.
That's true, I think OP needs to have at least A*A*AA for a decent Cambridge application. But I believe they stand a better chance of getting this than being accepted into Oxford with such low GCSE's.
Yellowtree123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Maths&physics)
what makes you think you wont be "intellectually challenged" enough at UCL?
I was told by people that the amount of work required of you was quite low, perhaps a little more than that at A-Level
Maths&physics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Grade A)
That's true, I think OP needs to have at least A*A*AA for a decent Cambridge application. But I believe they stand a better chance of getting this than being accepted into Oxford with such low GCSE's.
A-levels>GCSE's.

as I mentioned above: how many people do you know who got rejected by oxford but got into cambridge?

maybe he should reapply to oxford or maybe oxbridge isnt for him - at least, as an undergrad.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yellowtree123)
Oxford will expect you to perform better at the HAT this time round because you are a post A-level candidate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads