UK judicial syste Watch

Israali17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Is it true that the UK judicial and prosecution system is to some extent unfair and discriminatory towards minority races and communities?
caitlinhayes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The heads of the Supreme Court are made up of white men who were educated privately and one white woman so some people believe that they don’t fully understand the struggles of different areas of society but that’s all I know ahha
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Israali17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by caitlinhayes)
The heads of the Supreme Court are made up of white men who were educated privately and one white woman so some people believe that they don’t fully understand the struggles of different areas of society but that’s all I know ahha
This is also applicable to the Crown Courts where prosecuting barristers and judges are old white males, who prefer to incacerate asain and black young persons thus limiting their career options due to recieving a crminal conviction.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
And how many criminal trials are they doing
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Israali17)
Is it true that the UK judicial and prosecution system is to some extent unfair and discriminatory towards minority races and communities?
Yes, just as the US system is; and for largely the same reasons. Implicit biases, lack of access to good legal advice/legal aid, discrepancies in policing, etc.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you seen what sort of cases land before the Supreme Court these days?

Edit: ffs Notorious got to it before me :3
NYU℠
Report 6 months ago
Also, if we want to be accurate, there are actually two women on the Supreme Court now. Baroness Hale and, let’s not forget, Lady Black from Durham University Law School — not that I have any biases towards Durham here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (83)
9.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.07%

Watched Threads