Access to H.E social science. Stonebridge v learndirect Watch

donz_8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I want to study Access at either stonebridge or learn direct can you give me advice please
also is it correct that if you have an advanced learner loan, you only get 21 days per unit?
mollyxoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I'm doing the social sciences and humanities access course at Stonebridge currently. I'm not sure about the advanced loan 21 day thing, I'm paying privately for mine but have 35 days for each unit except the last unit, where you get more days. I know they have a live chat option on their website so perhaps ask them there? Some advice I would give is that you will have to do a lot of research to answer assignments, I find their study materials to be a bit lacking sometimes. You will be completing assignments that include doing video presentations, online timed tests, academic reports and essays etc. You'll be doing nearly all your ungraded units at the start so my advice would be to complete them as quickly as possible so you have more time for the actual graded units as they are much more time consuming. Definitely utilise sending a draft when the option is available as sometimes the questions are not clear for the answers they are expecting. Grading drafts and assignments can also take over a week sometimes so I would get started on the next unit whilst you wait. I hope this helps!
SofaChillReview
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am not sure on the loan thing either
My course has 11 days for each topic and more for the last one
I don't think the loan makes a difference
Keep us updated
PJNolen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Access Science course at Suffolk new college in ipswich. If there is a max 21 day per unit, it was never mentioned.

I got a loan, It won't have to be paid back as long as the student continues to uni for a degree.
SofaChillReview
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PJNolen)
I did Access Science course at Suffolk new college in ipswich. If there is a max 21 day per unit, it was never mentioned.

I got a loan, It won't have to be paid back as long as the student continues to uni for a degree.
I would assume that the student would have to complete the degree though?
PJNolen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SofaChillReview)
I would assume that the student would have to complete the degree though?
No point in half-assing it.
donz_8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SofaChillReview)
I am not sure on the loan thing either
My course has 11 days for each topic and more for the last one
I don't think the loan makes a difference
Keep us updated
omg how do you cope with 11 days? that's a bit intense
SofaChillReview
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by donz_8)
omg how do you cope with 11 days? that's a bit intense
The assessor normally answers pretty quick though which is good just find a couple of days here and there when you can really it's about 21 Units and you are trying to get it done within a year so 11 days is what you are going for really !
Pixsoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by donz_8)
Hi
I want to study Access at either stonebridge or learn direct can you give me advice please
also is it correct that if you have an advanced learner loan, you only get 21 days per unit?
I can’t help with the funding but in regards to Learn Direct vs. Stonebridge:

Learn Direct have been in hot water over recent months. That being said, they’ve just been bought by Stonebridge, so it doesn’t really matter which you go for, they’re the same people.
Lucyleanneb95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone,

I am a 23yr old mature student (wanna be mature student should I say). I left school with GCSEs but went onto employment (support worker, adults with LD/Autism, went onto assistant manager and then done 8 months as a TA).
I’m wanting to get into teaching. Ideally I would love a place at York to study Psychology in education. I’ve been told I need to do an access course first. I would need to do this whilst still working and have looked at learn direct to do access to HE diploma in social sciences (physchology and sociology). Has anyone else done a similar route?? Also I am looking at getting a 19+ loan to pay for my access course... any hints/tips/advice is much appreciated!!!! Thank you
Conconz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've done a couple of learn direct courses, and they were terrible. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
maya0798
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
why
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.78%
It's just nice to be back! (209)
26.93%
Not great so far... (278)
35.82%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.46%

Watched Threads