The Student Room Group

quick question

How many turning points does y=cos(3x) have?
Reply 1
Original post by Amberinho

what do you think?

You need to know the range of 3x. Draw one cycle and count them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by have
what do you think?

3? maybe idk i feel its too obvious and im missing something
Reply 4
3? maybe idk i feel its too obvious and im missing something

why would there be 3? Draw the graph on desmos.com. I can see a lot more than 3. It looks like there may be an infinite amount of turning points.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by have
why would there be 3? Draw the graph on desmos.com. I can see a lot more than 3. It looks like there may be an infinite amount of turning points.

idk it was a multiple choice question and the options were 5 ,7, 4, 3 it was between 0 and 360 ive just realised too
Reply 6
idk it was a multiple choice question and the options were 5 ,7, 4, 3 it was between 0 and 360 ive just realised too

If it's between 0 and 360, that's a whole different issue. You can still use desmos to help you, but you have to make sure it's in degree mode. You should see that it's just the graph of cos x, which has been stretched parallel to the x axis by a scale factor of 1/3
3 wouldnt be right because you're not counting all of the turning points (both maximum and minimum)
Reply 7
Original post by have
If it's between 0 and 360, that's a whole different issue. You can still use desmos to help you, but you have to make sure it's in degree mode. You should see that it's just the graph of cos x, which has been stretched parallel to the x axis by a scale factor of 1/3
3 wouldnt be right because you're not counting all of the turning points (both maximum and minimum)

it would be 7 then
Reply 8
it would be 7 then

yes 7, if the inequality is 0<=x<=360.
it would only be 5 if its 0<x<360

Quick Reply

Latest