The Student Room Group

Migraines

Does anyone else suffer migraines?
I had my first one 3 years ago during a really stressful time in my life and i've had them ever since. They arent associated with any foods or drinks so me and my doctor are thinking its stress.

What do you use to gelp prevent a full blown attack. I'm using paramax at the moment but they're not very effective so i'm off the the chinese herbalist next week to see what they can do. Also having my first accupuncture there too to help prevent attacks! I'm a bit scared as I hate needles!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heh, use neurofen, im so doped up on it right now, im finding new entertainment in highlighters.
Reply 2
Everdawn
Heh, use neurofen, im so doped up on it right now, im finding new entertainment in highlighters.

Ah nurofen! If only it worked!
Reply 3
frost105
I had my first one 3 years ago during a really stressful time in my life and i've had them ever since. They arent associated with any foods or drinks so me and my doctor are thinking its stress.

What do you use to gelp prevent a full blown attack. I'm using paramax at the moment but they're not very effective so i'm off the the chinese herbalist next week to see what they can do. Also having my first accupuncture there too to help prevent attacks! I'm a bit scared as I hate needles!

Had one the other night... dad nearly gave me a nervous breakdown, but I'm a fool and dont take any tablets :rolleyes: so i just suffered
Reply 4
frost105
Ah nurofen! If only it worked!

Haha! I think its doing something to my head as well as numbing my bloody sh!tted up knee. God I hate it, hahaha!!
Reply 5
Mad Vlad
Had one the other night... dad nearly gave me a nervous breakdown, but I'm a fool and dont take any tablets :rolleyes: so i just suffered

I hate them-sometimes they're so bad that I cant bare to be touched (to the point where i have smacked my mum so hard she went flying for doing it-oh how i paid for that!) and not recognising my boyf of 19 months and screaming the house down.
Reply 6
frost105
I hate them-sometimes they're so bad that I cant bare to be touched (to the point where i have smacked my mum so hard she went flying for doing it-oh how i paid for that!) and not recognising my boyf of 19 months and screaming the house down.

They must be bad to make u do that, herbalist may do the trick
Reply 7
I find that Migraleve tablets work quite well. You should lie in a dark room too. Do you have the type of migraines where your vision gets blurry before the headache or do you just have headaches on their own?
Reply 8
smallthoms
I find that Migraleve tablets work quite well. You should lie in a dark room too. Do you have the type of migraines where your vision gets blurry before the headache or do you just have headaches on their own?

Tried migraleive and they dont even touch it no more. Start of with blurry eyes then full blown headache and sickness. I dont find a dark room helps very much either.
Reply 9
I went to the doctor and he thought mine were to do with stress as well so I am on a high dosage beta-blocker (for other things too) and it works well. I still pull muscles in my neck very easily and sometimes I feel sick if a headache breaks through but it is very rare and I can usually sleep it off. Pester your doctor, cry if you need to, just show them exactly how frustrating you are finding being affected by nasty, yet preventable, migraines.
edit: I find staying hydrated does help too.
frost105

Take some Boom pine apple wine! :cool:
Reply 11
I don't think I've ever had a migrane/headache in my entire life. Not even when I have a hangover. I guess I'm just lucky :smile:
Reply 12
I used to get them until I was around 15.
Reply 13
Im no expert. But A lot of folk say Paracetamol and other pain killers make migraines worse, I agree with the stress bit, that can trigger of something in the brain that make you become a sufferer for life..anything to do with the head always seek 3 opinions from 3 different doctors as yes Doctors do make mistakes. A migraine is where you cry because the pain is so intense and the last thing a person wants to do is scream, that will make it worse.
Reply 14
will_cambs
A migraine is where you cry because the pain is so intense and the last thing a person wants to do is scream, that will make it worse.

Not everyone crys with the pain. I've cried a few times but I scream when Iget irrational which happens with bad migraines
Reply 15
Try Feverfew
Reply 16
I posted a thread on this a while ago. Have a search.
I haven't had a migraine in my entire life, and I am very happy about that :biggrin:
Reply 18
If you get frequent headaches varying in severity and have taken over the counter medication to help relieve them, it could be your medication is triggering the migraine. Also if you get them frequently, they maybe cluster headaches and currently on the market there are 2 medicines still being trialled that may help.
Reply 19
DevilsDoor
If you get frequent headaches varying in severity and have taken over the counter medication to help relieve them, it could be your medication is triggering the migraine. Also if you get them frequently, they maybe cluster headaches and currently on the market there are 2 medicines still being trialled that may help.

These are definatly migraines and i've tried not using mediction to see if they were having an effect but it really stress related. if i'm stressed i'll get a migraine. Thats why i'm trying the alterantive route!

Latest

Trending

Trending