The Student Room Group

does it matter what university you go to, to get a medicine degree.

my uncles were discussing this and how if you want to become a doctor, it doesnt matter what university you go too, is this true? and if that is true, why do many people apply to cambridge/ oxford for a medicine degree, it is one of their most popular degrees, i thought it doesnt matter?
I doubt it, wherever you go you will gain practical experience in your placement hospital and sit many many exams. You will be assessed on your practical abilities and partly bedside manner. If you excel, I have seen many junior Drs progress through SHO to registrar and due to great respect success in achieving consultant status. You may develop a special interest and apply for professor status though I'm less familiar with that!

There's plenty of jobs in medicine. We need more who have compassion and good communication skills, exams in halls don't assess that
Reply 2
Original post by sadasdasfsfafg
my uncles were discussing this and how if you want to become a doctor, it doesnt matter what university you go too, is this true? and if that is true, why do many people apply to cambridge/ oxford for a medicine degree, it is one of their most popular degrees, i thought it doesnt matter?

Medicine at Oxford is a relatively small course (150 or so places). It's bigger at Cambridge (250 ish places) but by no means the largest course there.

Some people apply to Oxbridge because they particularly like the supervision/tutorial system and the collegiate living.

As to making a difference to a medicine career, no not really. A hospital employs medics from any and all medschools. All GMC accredited courses are entirely equivalent career-wise.

PS. In moving this to the Medicine forum. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Nurse lol
Reply 4
:ta: < :biggrin:

I do know Oxford has a much lower offer rate than Cambridge. Cambridge is about 20% which isn't actually too bad by Cambridge standards.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
:ta: < :biggrin:

I do know Oxford has a much lower offer rate than Cambridge. Cambridge is about 20% which isn't actually too bad by Cambridge standards.

According to Cambridge website, slightly higher than you thought

"Please note that in the past three admissions rounds, 98 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 31 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the 2 per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, 8% were successful in gaining a place."
Reply 6
Original post by meddad
According to Cambridge website, slightly higher than you thought

"Please note that in the past three admissions rounds, 98 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 31 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the 2 per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, 8% were successful in gaining a place."

Ah, I was talking about the overall offer rate including internationals and IBers. Yeah, the A-level offer rate - usually home students - is higher. And I don't know what proportion apply with only 2 science A-levels to also bring that 31% rate down a bit.

in 2017 the overall acceptance rate was 19%. The number of applicants increased in 2018 so the offer rate, and acceptance rate, will drop a little further.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah, I was talking about the overall offer rate including internationals and IBers. Yeah, the A-level offer rate - usually home students - is higher. And I don't know what proportion apply with only 2 science A-levels to also bring that 31% rate down a bit.

in 2017 the overall acceptance rate was 19%. The number of applicants increased in 2018 so the offer rate, and acceptance rate, will drop a little further.

Yes, that's true - I was quoting A level applicants. Those applying with only 2 science grades are only 2% of total, so marginal impact on overall picture.

Quick Reply

Latest