The Student Room Group

How do I lower my blood pressure + gain weight

How do I lower my blood pressure? My heart is beating faster than an average human and I'm really worried that i could get heart disease, I'm to scared to tell doctor as I hate injection and swallowing big pills. Since my heart is beating a bit fast I think my blood pressure is high. Is there anyway to lower it?

Also how do I gain weight without gaining blood pressure/raising heartbeat? I'm pretty underweighted for a 15 year old

😰so much things going on for me.
Reply 1
Steadily increase your calories but lower the amount of salt /sodium - caution it's better to go your gp/doctors as there may be a serious cause that your heart is beating fast. You could also give meditation a try a couple times a week see if it calms your heartbeat down any.
I'd go to the doctor for advice on this rather than asking us strangers on the internet. They are the experts, not us
Original post by Anonymous
How do I lower my blood pressure? My heart is beating faster than an average human and I'm really worried that i could get heart disease, I'm to scared to tell doctor as I hate injection and swallowing big pills. Since my heart is beating a bit fast I think my blood pressure is high. Is there anyway to lower it?

Also how do I gain weight without gaining blood pressure/raising heartbeat? I'm pretty underweighted for a 15 year old

Just speak to your doctor. A fear of injections is something you can overcome, and often pills aren’t big. I find swallowing them with orange/ blackcurrent squash to be easier than plain water.
Have you tried checking your heartrate and comparing it to what's normal? Maybe it just feels like it's beating too fast because you're paying too much attention to it.
The doctor may not even give you injections/pills!

I would definitely recommend going even if it's just to get your blood pressure and heart rate actually measured - you might even be pleasantly surprised with the results in which case you won't have to worry!

And if your heart rate/blood pressure is a bit on the high side, then they're going to give you better and more personalised advice than us. It might even just be lifestyle/diet tips they give you and that is what you're looking for after all. :biggrin:
If you think your heart is beating too fast then go and ask for a medical opinion. What makes you think you'll need an injection? Generally beta blockers are prescribed for high blood pressure. I was diagnosed with anxiety and was given propranalol because one of my symptoms was a racing heart beat and my blood pressure was high. They're teeny tiny tablets and they made a big difference.

When it comes to your heart why would you take a chance? Whats happening to you could be very easily fixed or could be a symptom of something else going on. Never hurts to ask but it could hurt if you just leave it.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

Most likely thing to happen if you see GP is them putting that inflating thing on your arm and a little clip on your finger to test stuff then giving you some advice. No needles or tablets.
If needles or tablets are suggested you always have the right to refuse but it's kinda a choice between that or poor health so i would pick the needles or tablets over the being unwell.

Go see your GP. If you are unwell then that's just sat getting worse until you see them which means the longer you wait the worse the stuff you have to deal with when you eventually give in and see somebody. Most likely scenario though is just them doing those very basic not at all painful tests and having a talk with you. Not worth potentially ignoring a health issue over that.
Reply 8
It’s better for you to see a doctor tbh as that’s safer for you and better for you. You might need to change your diet.

Quick Reply

Latest