The Student Room Group

A level choices + is politics a bad A level?

I want to study law at university and I'm choosing my A level subjects tomorrow. I am on track for law with my GCSE results however I am unsure what courses I should take for the best chance at a good university. I want to take Maths, History and politics for A level but I am unsure if Politics is a 'strong' A level or not. I've been told by multiple people to just take 3 subjects at sixth form because the extra work for a subject that you'll inevitably drop isn't worth the time. My GCSEs allow for me to take pretty much any subject at A level so any suggestions like swapping politics for a science or just taking a 4th subject would be much appreciated.
Original post by danff78
I want to study law at university and I'm choosing my A level subjects tomorrow. I am on track for law with my GCSE results however I am unsure what courses I should take for the best chance at a good university. I want to take Maths, History and politics for A level but I am unsure if Politics is a 'strong' A level or not. I've been told by multiple people to just take 3 subjects at sixth form because the extra work for a subject that you'll inevitably drop isn't worth the time. My GCSEs allow for me to take pretty much any subject at A level so any suggestions like swapping politics for a science or just taking a 4th subject would be much appreciated.

No set A levels. Maths History and politics would be fine anywhere. get the best grades you can. I would go for my favourite three where I could get the grades. I would avoid soft subjects and try to stick to at least 2 traditional and one essay subject. Your combination is fine.

The 4th A levels gives a fallback in case one goes wrong but might not be needed. An EPQ might get you a grade reduction by one.
Definitely only take subjects that interest you! But from my past experience, politics is a great a level and works well with history at a level. So if it interests you, and you are willing to do the extra research, then I think you should go for it! But it’s your decision, hope this helps :smile:
Government & Politics is perfectly acceptable; any "traditionally academic subject", i.e. one that is primarily assessed by final written exam, is suitable preparation for a law degree, and G&P is exactly this. However beyond that most universities are happy to consider two traditionally academic subjects and another one (which may not be - for example Art, or Music, and possibly others) "even" for Law.

Otherwise the overriding requirement is to get the best grades possible, and for that as above you should pick the subjects you are actually interested in, as then you will have the motivation to work on the subject outside of simply attending lessons to ensure you get good grades. There is no reason in taking politics, or maths, or history, or any other subject, to satisfy some arbitrary imagined requirements of admissions tutors, if you're going to get an E in it anyway :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
No set A levels. Maths History and politics would be fine anywhere. get the best grades you can. I would go for my favourite three where I could get the grades. I would avoid soft subjects and try to stick to at least 2 traditional and one essay subject. Your combination is fine.

The 4th A levels gives a fallback in case one goes wrong but might not be needed. An EPQ might get you a grade reduction by one.

Thank you for the advise! I'll find out more about doing an EPQ as that sounds like a good idea
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Government & Politics is perfectly acceptable; any "traditionally academic subject", i.e. one that is primarily assessed by final written exam, is suitable preparation for a law degree, and G&P is exactly this. However beyond that most universities are happy to consider two traditionally academic subjects and another one (which may not be - for example Art, or Music, and possibly others) "even" for Law.

Otherwise the overriding requirement is to get the best grades possible, and for that as above you should pick the subjects you are actually interested in, as then you will have the motivation to work on the subject outside of simply attending lessons to ensure you get good grades. There is no reason in taking politics, or maths, or history, or any other subject, to satisfy some arbitrary imagined requirements of admissions tutors, if you're going to get an E in it anyway :tongue:

Thanks for the advise, I'm very interested in history and politics and I like maths so I think I will stick with that combination and work hard on getting the best grades I can :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by EnglishLit19
Definitely only take subjects that interest you! But from my past experience, politics is a great a level and works well with history at a level. So if it interests you, and you are willing to do the extra research, then I think you should go for it! But it’s your decision, hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for the response! I'm very interested in politics but I was slightly worried that taking it over a more traditional subject may lower my chances of getting into a good uni but as I'm interested in it I think it'll allow me to stay motivated.
Original post by danff78
Thank you for the response! I'm very interested in politics but I was slightly worried that taking it over a more traditional subject may lower my chances of getting into a good uni but as I'm interested in it I think it'll allow me to stay motivated.

hi, im in the same situation as you. im studying biology geography and politics but dont know if should switch politics for english lit... i really do love politics but everyone sees it as a soft subject, and dont want to decrease my chances of getting into a good uni for that reason. ( i really dont know what i wanna do at uni. im studying computer science on my own at home, so who knows what route ill go down lol)
Original post by 999tigger

I agree
I’m doing the exact same subjects! Maths and History are both facilitating subjects, and Universities all the way up to Oxbridge don’t ask for more than two. Politics isn’t facilitating but it’s definitely not seen as a quick easy option (as far as I know).

Quick Reply

Latest