The Student Room Group

does oxford care

I want to read English literature at oxford and I was basically wondering whether I would be at a disadvantage continuing with a business studies a level alongside English literature and history a levels. I guess the question/s is /are will I be at a disadvantage even though I got an A in business studies at As level? would it be better for me to fast track a subject like classical civilisation in one year? Would it be better for me to continue with French a level even though I got a C at As?Any help is greatly appreciated I really am in a rut :smile:
Original post by sarah.a.k
I want to read English literature at oxford and I was basically wondering whether I would be at a disadvantage continuing with a business studies a level alongside English literature and history a levels. I guess the question/s is /are will I be at a disadvantage even though I got an A in business studies at As level? would it be better for me to fast track a subject like classical civilisation in one year? Would it be better for me to continue with French a level even though I got a C at As?Any help is greatly appreciated I really am in a rut :smile:

In general, I don't think Oxford mind too much what your 3rd subject is- it's definitely better to go for the subject with higher predictions. I don't think Classical Civ would be viewed any more favourably than business.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
In general, I don't think Oxford mind too much what your 3rd subject is- it's definitely better to go for the subject with higher predictions. I don't think Classical Civ would be viewed any more favourably than business.

okay thank you so much for the advice! You really think a level business won't hinder my application? sorry for the questions :smile:
okay thank you so much for the advice! You really think a level business won't hinder my application? sorry for the questions :smile:

I don't think it will, but obviously I'm not an admissions tutor- if you're really concerned, you could email Oxford for advice.

According to Oxford's website, the only required A-level is English lit and the only A-level they do not accept is General Studies. They do recommend history or a language, but these aren't requirements and you definitely don't need both.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/english-language-and-literature?wssl=1
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1
Reply 4
What Oxford will care about is that you've chosen the subjects which will allow you to get the best possible grades, since in order to give you an offer, they need to be reasonably confident that you will actually meet it. They might well view fast-tracking an A-level in a year or continuing with a subject you got a C in at AS as unnecessarily risky when you have the safer option of continuing with English, History and Business.
My friend got into Oxford for English Lit with Psychology and Biology as her other two options. As long as your grades are good, I wouldn't worry too much about the relevancy of your other subjects.
What does @BrasenoseAdm think?
Reply 7

It's absolutely fine as a 3rd subject.
We agree - totally fine.

^ There you go!
Reply 10
Thank you so much everyone, you have definitely helped to ease my anxieties surrounding this matter :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thank you so much everyone, you have definitely helped to ease my anxieties surrounding this matter :biggrin:

Good luck with your application!
Reply 12
Sorry, yet another burning question: do you think I'll even be considered with a low C in AS level French? I need to declare all as grades and was wondering what my best route would be? My other grades at As level were: AAB with full ums in an English lit module and I had high ums for business studies and only narrowly missed the A grade in history (getting re-marked).
At GCSE I got 7A* 3A 3B. Also I am doing the English EPQ and I have got into multiple outreach programmes that were competitive for places being the only Welsh person at one of them (out of 20) and being only one of 10 chosen on another.
Reply 13
Sorry, yet another burning question: do you think I'll even be considered with a low C in AS level French? I need to declare all as grades and was wondering what my best route would be?

The best, and only, route is to declare it.

The ELAT is more important than AS-levels anyway.

In 2015 the weighting was:

40% ELAT mark out of 60

25% Written Work mark out of 10

17.5% UCAS score out of 10

17.5% Contextualized GCSE score.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/418434/response/1021097/attach/2/Pattison%20Ltr%20and%20Information.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Doonesbury
The best, and only, route is to declare it.

The ELAT is more important than AS-levels anyway.

In 2015 the weighting was:

40% ELAT mark out of 60

25% Written Work mark out of 10

17.5% UCAS score out of 10

17.5% Contextualized GCSE score.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/418434/response/1021097/attach/2/Pattison%20Ltr%20and%20Information.pdf
okay thanks again !!!

Quick Reply