Elizabeth113
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am interested in both subjects and I am aware of joint degrees (I'm looking at a history and archaeology degree as one of my options) however the other unis i am more interested in don't do a joint degree. Just looking for some advice on how the degrees would affect me differently, for example employability etc. Thank you
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Employment wise archaeology is more niche and hands on, with fewer job opportunities available outside the archaeological field.
Excavating sites, advising on site explorations, teaching the subject, writing academic books/ articles.

History degrees are well regarded by most employers across a variety of fields, with more potential career flexibility.
Journalism, law, recruitment, PR, customer service, fashion, real estate, retail, project management, teaching, writing books.

I wanted to study archaeology or Egyptology as an undergraduate.
But employment opportunities were just too limited.
ZoeN2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you considered Classical Studies/Classics at all? It is less niche than archeology but is argued to be as well regarded as History or English. The course is offered at a large number of universities with a variety of entry requirements and does not require prior knowledge of Latin or classical Greek. The beauty of Classics is that since you are interested in archeology you can do that in the course as well as ancient history, literature, drama etc all within one-degree building skills which are valued by employers and many firms.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elizabeth113)
I am interested in both subjects and I am aware of joint degrees (I'm looking at a history and archaeology degree as one of my options) however the other unis i am more interested in don't do a joint degree. Just looking for some advice on how the degrees would affect me differently, for example employability etc. Thank you
(Original post by londonmyst)
Employment wise archaeology is more niche and hands on, with fewer job opportunities available outside the archaeological field.
Excavating sites, advising on site explorations, teaching the subject, writing academic books/ articles.

History degrees are well regarded by most employers across a variety of fields, with more potential career flexibility.
Journalism, law, recruitment, PR, customer service, fashion, real estate, retail, project management, teaching, writing books.

I wanted to study archaeology or Egyptology as an undergraduate.
But employment opportunities were just too limited.
I'm a current Egyptology student and it genuinely hasn't held me back at all. I've had internship offers from the Civil Service and accountancy firms, just like some of my friends in History. I think it's more down to the student at the end of the day.

Liverpool has a very good Joint Honours course in History and Archaeology if it's a university you're interested in?

Feel free to drop me a PM with any queries you might have!
LittleMissCrazy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elizabeth113)
Hey! I've applied to do a joint in archaeology and history (you are the first person I've found actually considering it!). If the unis you prefer don't offer it as a joint then just don't do it. I personally think the subjects go well together and can each contribute to my overall learning. Plus the unis I like the most (Newcastle) have it which is good. Also there has never been a better time to do archaeology! There 's currently a crisis in the UK archaeology sector, contrary to what londonmyst said, and they NEED archaeologists. If you want archaeology with more history based learning, then the historical archaeology course at York looks good. I hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads