Help! University entry requirements (SLT) Watch

_chlo01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi ,

I have just completed my second year of college and will be going into my third year this week. I am going to be studying AS-Level Graphic Design & Illustration, Psychology and also a level 3 award in Journalism. However, I am unsure about studying Psychology since I only have an interest in some of its topics.

The reason I want to study Psychology is because I want to purse a career in Speech and Language Therapy. I have looked at all of the universities which offer the course but the one I preferably want to study at is Reading. However, Reading's entry requirements for its SLT course is AAA-AAB (A-levels) and I have achieved A (English Language & Literature), B (Fine Art) and B (Photography); additionally I have a C for AS-Level Creative Writing.

Adding to my problem, I know most SLT courses preferably want you to have taken a modern foreign language or science-based A-Level course. Although, my A-level background is more Language (English) and Art based. I know Reading doesn't specify its preferred subject choice but, considering I got ABB compared to its requirements of AAA-AAB, I don't think they'll accept me. Will taking AS-level Psychology provide me with more of an advantage or do you think it won't really make any difference and I should just drop it?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by _chlo01)
Hi ,

I have just completed my second year of college and will be going into my third year this week. I am going to be studying AS-Level Graphic Design & Illustration, Psychology and also a level 3 award in Journalism. However, I am unsure about studying Psychology since I only have an interest in some of its topics.

The reason I want to study Psychology is because I want to purse a career in Speech and Language Therapy. I have looked at all of the universities which offer the course but the one I preferably want to study at is Reading. However, Reading's entry requirements for its SLT course is AAA-AAB (A-levels) and I have achieved A (English Language & Literature), B (Fine Art) and B (Photography); additionally I have a C for AS-Level Creative Writing.

Adding to my problem, I know most SLT courses preferably want you to have taken a modern foreign language or science-based A-Level course. Although, my A-level background is more Language (English) and Art based. I know Reading doesn't specify its preferred subject choice but, considering I got ABB compared to its requirements of AAA-AAB, I don't think they'll accept me. Will taking AS-level Psychology provide me with more of an advantage or do you think it won't really make any difference and I should just drop it?
The SLT course will contain a lot of science, so you may be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't take one. Also bear in mind that not all universities will consider psychology to be a science.

Looking at your degree choice and career aspirations, I'm quite confused by your current subject choices which seem completely unrelated. I think you really need to have a long, hard think about whether SLT is really the subject/career for you, and if so, reconsider the subjects you are looking to take. Just because a degree doesn't specify required subjects doesn't mean that you can take completely unrelated ones and expect to get in. Admissions tutors would certainly be concerned looking at an SLT application from a student who appears more interested in graphic design and journalism.
_chlo01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

Thanks for replying and for your advice! Charlotte\

I see what you mean that you are confused as to why I want to pursue SLT due to my subject choices. When I first started college I had a different aspiration which was to pursue a career in either Journalism or something in the art sector. I decided to continue these studies for my A-Levels as I enjoyed them but also because I thought I would continue the same career route I had in mind. However, I discovered SLT and became very interested in the career as I love helping people (I have experience from this at my part-time job) and I love analysing language and learning about linguistics. I knew it also heavily focused on science aswell but I have a keen interest in science as I took advanced science at GCSE and achieved A and B grades (these grades are irrelevant though when comparing them to college grades). Although, I couldn't change my A-levels to a science/science based course as I was already halfway through by the time I considered pursing SLT as a career path.

I have been researching the course and career thoroughly aswell so it's not as if I've just latched onto it irrevantly. The reason I'm taking Graphics and Journalism aswell is for my own sake, not because I believe it will allow me to get onto a SLT course at uni. Studying other subjects would have been more practical -especially for SLT- but that's the decision I want to go with. I also know Psychology won't be accepted as a science course at some unis; again I have researched this. I am interested in Science, like I said previously, but I would prefer to study Psychology. I've spoken to my tutors and to many course leaders about this aswell so it's not as if I haven't taken feedback from others.

At the end of the day, I'll take Psychology for the moment and see how it goes and then enquire my tutor about my decisions and her perspective on the situation. My tutors and advisors agree with my decisions so far and I am awaiting for replies from the unis.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by _chlo01)
Hi,

Thanks for replying and for your advice! Charlotte\

I see what you mean that you are confused as to why I want to pursue SLT due to my subject choices. When I first started college I had a different aspiration which was to pursue a career in either Journalism or something in the art sector. I decided to continue these studies for my A-Levels as I enjoyed them but also because I thought I would continue the same career route I had in mind. However, I discovered SLT and became very interested in the career as I love helping people (I have experience from this at my part-time job) and I love analysing language and learning about linguistics. I knew it also heavily focused on science aswell but I have a keen interest in science as I took advanced science at GCSE and achieved A and B grades (these grades are irrelevant though when comparing them to college grades). Although, I couldn't change my A-levels to a science/science based course as I was already halfway through by the time I considered pursing SLT as a career path.

I have been researching the course and career thoroughly aswell so it's not as if I've just latched onto it irrevantly. The reason I'm taking Graphics and Journalism aswell is for my own sake, not because I believe it will allow me to get onto a SLT course at uni. Studying other subjects would have been more practical -especially for SLT- but that's the decision I want to go with. I also know Psychology won't be accepted as a science course at some unis; again I have researched this. I am interested in Science, like I said previously, but I would prefer to study Psychology. I've spoken to my tutors and to many course leaders about this aswell so it's not as if I haven't taken feedback from others.

At the end of the day, I'll take Psychology for the moment and see how it goes and then enquire my tutor about my decisions and her perspective on the situation. My tutors and advisors agree with my decisions so far and I am awaiting for replies from the unis.
I'm afraid I'm not really sure if I understand what you wanted to gain from this post. If you only want to take the advice of your tutors and advisors and the many course leaders you have spoken to, I'm not clear what else you are looking for in terms of advice. Different advisors will give you different recommendations based on their personal/professional experiences so it is normal to see conflicting opinions and be told things which may not line up with your opinions or experiences. I'm just struggling to understand why, if you've sought all this advice and are confident in your decisions, you're asking for further opinions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads