The Student Room Group

I really want a pet

I would LOVE a cat so much. I literally look at all the ones up for adoption everyday but I am living with my parents and my dad hates cats, he will not let me get one. I think hes being selfish as a cat would make me feel so much happier :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UncertainCertain
I would LOVE a cat so much. I literally look at all the ones up for adoption everyday but I am living with my parents and my dad hates cats, he will not let me get one. I think hes being selfish as a cat would make me feel so much happier :frown:

ik how you feel 😂
same. i want a dog but unfortunately it's not happening. forever dreaming of a little baby chow chow that I can snuggle, and i'll put a bow in her hair... they make great feet warmers too :-)
Reply 3
My dad hates cats as well, I love them and fortunately my mum does too. We kept on at him and eventually he gave in and let us get one. And now he likes her and talks to her (though he denies it if you bring it up)

hopefully one day when you move out you'd be able to have one. could your dad be comfortable with a small rodent as a pet in the mean time?
Ok, consider the reality of the matter: do you have the money to pay for cat food? Pet insurance? Any unforseen vet bills? Getting them spayed/neutered/shots etc? Toys/beds/litterbox and filling/other forms of entertainment or "housing" for them (cats need toys they can play with when you are not there or they get bored and cause a lot of problems)? Is it going to be a housecat or an outdoor cat? Are you prepared for the needs of each format?

Pets are a huge responsibility. Cats may be more independent and self-sufficient in some ways than dogs (and other pets), but you can't just get one and do nothing to take care of it, and you need money and time to do that. If you aren't read to take care of a (human) baby, a pet is usually a bad idea - "even" fish require a great deal of upkeep and continual care (I'd probably argue fish are actually harder than a lot of other options, but people seem to think they're easier and/or more disposable because they're less cute and fluffy and don't scream at you if they are in pain, even though they still can experience it).

I would suggest starting with a (non-hardy) houseplant and see how you get on with that, and if you can keep that alive for a year or so then maybe consider something in the animal kingdom...
(edited 5 years ago)

The dad part made me smile. Parents think two steps ahead, just be respectful to him and request him with love, maybe he would agree.
Get a tarantula because people will be too pussy to go in and get rid of it! Yay! Keep your smuggled pet forever!!
Reply 8

Original post by haseeb_jarral
ik how you feel 😂

sup
Original post by artful_lounger
Ok, consider the reality of the matter: do you have the money to pay for cat food? Pet insurance? Any unforseen vet bills? Getting them spayed/neutered/shots etc? Toys/beds/litterbox and filling/other forms of entertainment or "housing" for them (cats need toys they can play with when you are not there or they get bored and cause a lot of problems)? Is it going to be a housecat or an outdoor cat? Are you prepared for the needs of each format?

Pets are a huge responsibility. Cats may be more independent and self-sufficient in some ways than dogs (and other pets), but you can't just get one and do nothing to take care of it, and you need money and time to do that. If you aren't read to take care of a (human) baby, a pet is usually a bad idea - "even" fish require a great deal of upkeep and continual care (I'd probably argue fish are actually harder than a lot of other options, but people seem to think they're easier and/or more disposable because they're less cute and fluffy and don't scream at you if they are in pain, even though they still can experience it).

I would suggest starting with a (non-hardy) houseplant and see how you get on with that, and if you can keep that alive for a year or so then maybe consider something in the animal kingdom...

Wow, so that was out of nowhere. Came across a little patronizing. But YES. I have money for all of that, have fully thought of the responsibility. Don't know where you got babies from but okay.
You are a cat:facepalm:
Original post by Your Local Cat
sup

:adore:
@Your Local Cat Your time has come:yes:
sup

mind if i stroke your head? 😊
Wow, so that was out of nowhere. Came across a little patronizing. But YES. I have money for all of that, have fully thought of the responsibility. Don't know where you got babies from but okay.

Because babies and animal pets are not so different in their care - you can't directly communicate with them, you are ultimately responsible for their entire life and livelihood, and they are often at odds with their environment and need high levels of care and supervision. There's a reason medics sometimes joke that pediatrics is veterinary medicine...

Also having money is not the same as having an income, and unless you have enough of that to be able to have a hundred quid plus every month only to spend on the pet and also to have a savings buffer for a potential £500 emergency vet visit completely out of the blue...you won't necessarily be able to afford a pet.

You say you want a cat because it'll make you happy - will you having a cat make the cat happy? The former does not necessarily imply the latter.
Reply 15
Original post by haseeb_jarral
mind if i stroke your head? 😊

Only on Tuesdays.
Only on Tuesdays.

guess what day it is today 😋
Only on Tuesdays.

It's Tuesday today, kitty 😄

My dad hates cats too so we had to give up our cat when we had to move in with him, it absolutely broke my heart. But unfortunately it's his house so his rules. When you have your own place you can get one.
Original post by artful_lounger
Because babies and animal pets are not so different in their care - you can't directly communicate with them, you are ultimately responsible for their entire life and livelihood, and they are often at odds with their environment and need high levels of care and supervision. There's a reason medics sometimes joke that pediatrics is veterinary medicine...

Also having money is not the same as having an income, and unless you have enough of that to be able to have a hundred quid plus every month only to spend on the pet and also to have a savings buffer for a potential £500 emergency vet visit completely out of the blue...you won't necessarily be able to afford a pet.

You say you want a cat because it'll make you happy - will you having a cat make the cat happy? The former does not necessarily imply the latter.

Dude, you get way intense WAY too quick. And WAY too presumptuous. I am not a child, I am educated on taking care of cats, I am not a 'ohh i want a kitty so i can play with it - oh wat?! it won't hug me. i don't want it!' so just...CHILL.

Quick Reply

Latest