Aty100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey guys!
so I just had a look at Royal Holloway's biological sciences welcome week schedule and I come to find out that we have a maths diagnostic test ?? I haven't done anything past GCSE level maths for 3 years now and this has really been stressing me out.
After further inspection I realised most universities give first year undergraduates a maths diagnostic test.

I can't believe I'm just finding out about this 3 weeks before I have to sit the test. Any current / graduated Royal Holloway students on here who can help me out? what sort of topics come up on the test? what level of maths? should I start revising for it now? how important are these tests? what happens if I fail?

I can't remember any maths, especially since I haven't touched it in yearsss. The last time I done maths was in year 11 and I got an A* but I also took a gap year so it has been a while. I would appreciate any help from any students who had to complete a maths diagnostic test.

thank you !
Gatt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same here I'm entering this September (foundation year) and I have numeracy and literacy test on the first week and I'm really bad at mathematics
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a diagnostic test. Read the actual words.

It's not an exam, it's a tool they use to determine what if any additional maths support you might need - you don't need to (and indeed, probably shouldn't) prepare for it, as that will enable them to figure out what support you'll need for the coming term/year/degree and ensure you do learn the necessary material.

Most likely if you "fail" (which you can't because it's not going to be summative assessment) they will provide additional materials on their VLE for you to review and/or may arrange additional tutorials if there are a group of people with weaker background, to catch everyone up.
Aty100
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's a diagnostic test. Read the actual words.

It's not an exam, it's a tool they use to determine what if any additional maths support you might need - you don't need to (and indeed, probably shouldn't) prepare for it, as that will enable them to figure out what support you'll need for the coming term/year/degree and ensure you do learn the necessary material.

Most likely if you "fail" (which you can't because it's not going to be summative assessment) they will provide additional materials on their VLE for you to review and/or may arrange additional tutorials if there are a group of people with weaker background, to catch everyone up.
omg thank you! that has really put my mind at ease
Aty100
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gatt)
Same here I'm entering this September (foundation year) and I have numeracy and literacy test on the first week and I'm really bad at mathematics
I'm sure you'll do well in both! good luck !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.25%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.51%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (113)
35.65%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
21.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
5.36%

Watched Threads