Dempsy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So in late September I'll be starting my degree at BCU and my parents just wanted me to search up the areas to avoid and stuff. I googled the 'no-go areas of Birmingham' and apparently most of the area surrounding and pretty much the area around BCU is not that safe? I'm slightly worried because I know that Birmingham is a big city so surely there would be crime, but I wasn't sure how bad it is.

Anyone with experience living in Birmingham or living around the city university got an opinion about this?
Punk_Rock_Socks
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been in Birmingham for two years now and I haven't had any issues! The only thing I would say is don't walk alone at night and trust your gut, if it doesn't feel right then leave. However, I've worked late winter nights on my own and have been fine but I stick mainly to the city centre. At night, stick to well lit areas as much as you can and don't take dodgy shortcuts. Hope this helps!
umbrella321
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Criminals walk in all directions. Hope that helps.
LawStudentBCU
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dempsy)
So in late September I'll be starting my degree at BCU and my parents just wanted me to search up the areas to avoid and stuff. I googled the 'no-go areas of Birmingham' and apparently most of the area surrounding and pretty much the area around BCU is not that safe? I'm slightly worried because I know that Birmingham is a big city so surely there would be crime, but I wasn't sure how bad it is.

Anyone with experience living in Birmingham or living around the city university got an opinion about this?
I live over the road from the University. Place is surrounded by drug dealers and groups of people causing trouble and intimidating passers by. The grassy area opposite the university frequently gets reported to the police due to muggings and assault and harassment by gangs. Definitely wouldn't recommend being anywhere in the city centre after dark if you're alone. I've lived here 3 years in 2 different flats in what would otherwise be very nice areas and it's no different.
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was born and have lived in Birmingham for 18 years and it's got the same crime rates as any other major city.

I don't think there's really any "no go" areas; just be wary of your surroundings at night anywhere you go but there is an increased police presence around Birmingham anyway.

Some people might be scaremongering you into believing that it's worse than it actually is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (138)
54.33%
18-20 years old (no) (31)
12.2%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.35%