Frankly sick of learning Frankenstein quotations...

Watch
bertie91
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
wow that was a *lame* play on words!

Was just wondering if anybody had any docs with Frankenstein quotations for the Edexcel closed book examination... or quotations grouped by theme etc.

Everyone finding Frankenstein revision harder than your other texts!? I am!

Thanks,

:tsr2:
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But it is important to throw some decent quotes to help illustrate your points though?

Get the york notes advance study guide. I would post my collection of quotes but they aint typed, only by hand.

Ploop do you recommend looking at the mark scheme and answering to that? I always find that a bit contrived and often irrelevant to the actual question but, if it gets you an A.
emitothelee
Badges: 9
Report 12 years ago
Ohh, I'm doing frankenstein and this is frankly turning into a good post. I remember my teacher saying you can still get an A withouth quotes.

Oh also ploop (good name) what do you mean by "box structure of the novel" is that the epistolary novel form she uses?
bertie91
ploop that stuff is simply awesome!

has anyone else got ideas of criticism relating to Franky...? thanks
bertie91
also emitothelee, epistolary narrative refers to a tale with a tale so yes indeed i think it relates to the "box structure" that ploop was talking about
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thank you Ploop. Much appreciated.

The box structure I think refers to the a chinese box which is lots of stories within stories, however it is the same story just different narrators?

It's in York notes... HINT HINT people :-P

So it's more important to read Criticial reception and answer these, aswell as Shelly's background and story. We've watched a video on her, and I know a bit about her background.

Her Mother died giving birth, and she was a "famous" feminist. I'm sure this can be related to Elizabeth's uselessness and Victor's rejection of normal sexuality.
bertie91
Elizabeth's uselessness...ouch!
bertie91
and york notes are awesome; however, i read somewhere in edexcel's spec that they don't like students relyin on them as too many similar ideas come out in the papers/// mm.
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol.

I mean her ineffectualness, and her pathetic attempt at saving Justine "I'll pray to the heavens" or whatever she says. Perhaps another dig at religion.
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bertie91)
and york notes are awesome; however, i read somewhere in edexcel's spec that they don't like students relyin on them as too many similar ideas come out in the papers/// mm.
Well I wouldn't quote it word for word, but the basic concepts get you thinking in the right direction. Once you hearr one or two criticisms you can usually make your own.
bertie91
i'm going to have to disagree! despite the fact that she causes the chain of nightmares for Franks sometimes shes the only thing that keeps him sane! although she did cause the death of mama frankenstein... and got herself killed by the Monster. I sorta agree with you but useless is harrsh! hehe
sbkynetik
Report 12 years ago
I had the worst EVER teacher for Frankenstein. She was a rampant feminist (she actually said, 'if you haven't tasted your own menstrual blood then you're not a woman' VERBATIM). She kept trying to make the whole thing a feminist statement...

...needless to say, we all failed.
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
She just plays the typical women though, noted for her positive affect on others, whilst remaining seemingly powerless. :-)
LyleandScott
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
sorry, this is irrelevant but i have to post it somewhere i guess
HOW DO I START A THREAD?
and can anyone do it or do u need to subscribe or summit?
x
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Go to the thread lists, top corner orange button "new thread."
LyleandScott
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nick_S)
Go to the thread lists, top corner orange button "new thread."
merci mr.
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm just scouring wikipedia for a brief bio of Mary Shelley and making any points which I could perhaps relate to the novel.
brokenheroes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Honestly, you don't need to learn a lot of quotes. There are a few you can sort of just drop in, stuff like "deduce an apt moral from my tale" "wretch" blah blah... depends on the question though. It's more about themes. Learn a bit more about socio-historical context, books referenced you can draw comparisons to.. Rime of The Ancient Mariner, as someone else said Paradise Lost... I took this exam in January 2007 so a little while ago, so I'm sorry I can't give any more specific advise.
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And not forgetting the secondary title "The modern prometheus."

Cheers guys.
bertie91
oh yeah the promethean thing is really important... and the adamic references, direct intertextual links with the Milton - I believe when the Monster says "evil thenceforth became my good" it translates almost directly with Satan in paradise lost saying "Evil be thou my good" etc.

Anyone got any good notes/ information on links with the Rime of the Ancient Mariner? I know there are direct quotations in the novel...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.69%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (513)
48.81%

Watched Threads