Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please share any stories or whatever or just say how amazing you found your first year at uni! The reason I’ve created this is because there’s a few threads on ‘harsh realities’ so I wanted something that could at least put some people at ease and balance the negativity 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I did post on the harsh realities thread, but a positive thread is a great idea. So, positives from uni:

- I did make some great friends and had a great social life while I was there.
    - I enjoyed the academic study of my subject.
    - I got to try new things I otherwise wouldn't have through societies.
    - Especially in first year I had loads of free time for my hobbies.
    - Long summers are great.
    - I had some great on campus jobs.
    - My degree has opened lots of doors for me over the years.

Overall, uni was a great experience for me- and it is for the majority of people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    I did post on the harsh realities thread, but a positive thread is a great idea. So, positives from uni:

- I did make some great friends and had a great social life while I was there.
    - I enjoyed the academic study of my subject.
    - I got to try new things I otherwise wouldn't have through societies.
    - Especially in first year I had loads of free time for my hobbies.
    - Long summers are great.
    - I had some great on campus jobs.
    - My degree has opened lots of doors for me over the years.

Overall, uni was a great experience for me- and it is for the majority of people
    Good to hear, thank you! 😊
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dartagnankillian)
    Please share any stories or whatever or just say how amazing you found your first year at uni! The reason I’ve created this is because there’s a few threads on ‘harsh realities’ so I wanted something that could at least put some people at ease and balance the negativity 😊
    - Made me slightly less of a misery guts
    - My degree has already opened up career opportunities since day 1
    - My summer lasts from mid-May to mid-Sept
    - Met some nice people
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    - Made me slightly less of a misery guts
    - My degree has already opened up career opportunities since day 1
    - My summer lasts from mid-May to mid-Sept
    - Met some nice people
    Before Uni
    Spoiler:
    Show

After Uni
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I learnt about Byron Burgers. What a ****ing treat.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 8472)
    Before Uni
    Spoiler:
    Show

After Uni
    Spoiler:
    Show

Not sure the transformation was that drastic but I approve this message :borat:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I gained independence, I learnt to love learning and found my path in life (academia!). I made friends for life. I learnt that stress is a good thing and how to deal with it. University made me who I am today.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    :yay: :party:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The independence I got in first year sort of led to me being in a relationship now. Wouldn't really have been able to maintain it had I still been at home.

I've also had chance to go to the Edinburgh fringe thanks to university societies. And have ended up Vice chair of one.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    My first year was not that positive but it did get better for me, especially in my last year. I found out eventually what is was like to feel loved and adored. I gained an amazing best friend and great friends in general. I got my degree and I got into an amazing grad scheme!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The posititves outweigh the negatives for sure

I enjoyed being completely independent and learning to do everything by myself

I made a lot friends who I felt I had a lot in common with, something I haven’t experienced before uni. All the previous friendships I had I felt something was missing, but at uni I shared more interests with people (could do because we are studying something we enjoy haha)

I learned A LOT of useful and interesting things about my degree

I did at least 4 extra curricular awards which could potentially improve my employability

I enjoyed having a 4 months summer holiday

Going back to uni in 4 days and now I’m looking forward to start 2nd year
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 8472)
    Before Uni
    Spoiler:
    Show

After Uni
    Spoiler:
    Show

By the end of uni, he'll be
    Spoiler:
    Show

Attachment 772194
    And will have undergone a name change to Blue_Coo

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    -Finally getting to actually choose your friends rather than just being with the people in your year at school.
    -Meeting such a wide range of people really opens your eyes to the world.
    -Learning stuff in my course that I really enjoyed.
    -Being independent/away from my parents.
    -Gained a bunch of work/volunteering experience which should (hopefully) make me more employable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    - Made me feel more confident in my ability
    - I developed my study skills
    - I met some great new people
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Honest Burger is definitely better value though, same price as a Byron burger but comes with chips. They have special ones for each branch too, the Borough Market burger is without a doubt the best there is
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dartagnankillian)
    omg such a nice idea :hugs:

Just finished my first year of uni, lets sum up the positives :woo:
    -Made loads of friends from societies, halls, course and working there! Now sharing a house with my 6 besties from halls and my course!
    Going on holiday with them in December too :dance:
    -Had so much fun doing extra-curricular stuff
    This includes concerts with orchestra, going on tour with them to Dublin and seeing tons of awesome films for free with the French and film society at the cinema on campus :yy:
    -Got so much work experience this year
    Omg before uni I'd never had a paid job!
    Now I've had 3 and will be starting 2 more in this month! So many skills I've learned and I feel so much more confident as a person as well haha also yep made loads of friends with uni staff and other students older than me!
    -learned loads of new recipes! Through realising that I need to cook not just the same 5 meals a day lel :shot:
    -I got to study french and astrophysics as options!
    I loved both but was stronger at chem and was so happy I could take them further to a higher level and enjoyed them so much! I also made 2 good friends though taking french

Uni is great and a positive experience :grouphugs:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I met my husband at uni, got my dyslexia diagnosis and got comfortable telling other people that i m dyslexic and dyspraxic without feeling ashamed for the first time in my life, i also got over my fear of doing presentations and got 1sts in all the ones i had to do.

ReputationRep:
    First year for me was amazing! Best achievement for me was regaining my confidence, both socially and academically. Socially, I joined a sport and am still playing now (going into 3rd year) and am on the committee, plus I met some of my new closest friends.

Academically, I really struggled with A levels and came out with lower grades than I expected of myself - I genuinely worked hard but it was a mix of bad teaching and just not clicking with the assessment criteria. However, I regained my love for learning at uni and achieved a high 2.1, even getting a few 1sts which I had never believed possible! I achieved the same in second year, alongside a job which I’ll continue in 3rd year, and am now pushing myself to try and get as many 1sts as I can in 3rd year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    omg such a nice idea :hugs:

Just finished my first year of uni, lets sum up the positives :woo:
    -Made loads of friends from societies, halls, course and working there! Now sharing a house with my 6 besties from halls and my course!
    Going on holiday with them in December too :dance:
    -Had so much fun doing extra-curricular stuff
    This includes concerts with orchestra, going on tour with them to Dublin and seeing tons of awesome films for free with the French and film society at the cinema on campus :yy:
    -Got so much work experience this year
    Omg before uni I'd never had a paid job!
    Now I've had 3 and will be starting 2 more in this month! So many skills I've learned and I feel so much more confident as a person as well haha also yep made loads of friends with uni staff and other students older than me!
    -learned loads of new recipes! Through realising that I need to cook not just the same 5 meals a day lel :shot:
    -I got to study french and astrophysics as options!
    I loved both but was stronger at chem and was so happy I could take them further to a higher level and enjoyed them so much! I also made 2 good friends though taking french

Uni is great and a positive experience :grouphugs:
    That’s great! Thanks for sharing 😊

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.