The Student Room Group

College wont let me take Biology A level. Please HELP!

I had got a D in my Biology, and my school wanted a C, I don't know what to do now. I did well in my other 2 subjects so I am continuing those. My school is saying choose a different AS but I dont want to because that means i have to take a extra year to complete that A level which doesnt make sense to do as I want to go to uni next year.

I just dont know what to do!
Reply 1
You'll fail A Level Biology if you continue it, then you'll only have two A Levels to show for yourself and you'll have to take another independently for two years to go to university at all.
Original post by enemysoilder
I had got a D in my Biology, and my school wanted a C, I don't know what to do now. I did well in my other 2 subjects so I am continuing those. My school is saying choose a different AS but I dont want to because that means i have to take a extra year to complete that A level which doesnt make sense to do as I want to go to uni next year.

I just dont know what to do!

Not too sure if you've completed your GCSE's or your first year of AS Biology.

If you got a D in AS Biology, you should be able to carry it onto A2. I don't think they can necessarily kick you off the course if you passed the subject (anything above a U). Please be firm and tell them that you want to continue, don't give in and choose a different AS if you don't want to. If they still don't listen, bring in a parent or guardian to speak with the subject teacher.

If you got a D at GCSE- then AS Biology may not be for you, unless you have circumstances leading to that grade.
Original post by monostable
Not too sure if you've completed your GCSE's or your first year of AS Biology.

If you got a D in AS Biology, you should be able to carry it onto A2. I don't think they can necessarily kick you off the course if you passed the subject (anything above a U). Please be firm and tell them that you want to continue, don't give in and choose a different AS if you don't want to. If they still don't listen, bring in a parent or guardian to speak with the subject teacher.

If you got a D at GCSE- then AS Biology may not be for you, unless you have circumstances leading to that grade.

I got A's at GCSE for sciences. I am talking about my first year of AS biology I got the D. but I messed up the exam, it was my fault obviously but I feel like I can Improve my grade a lot. The school however is not listening to me, they are saying sorry we cant even though I kept asking and saying I would do resits to prove I can get a better grade.
Original post by iseesparksfly
You'll fail A Level Biology if you continue it, then you'll only have two A Levels to show for yourself and you'll have to take another independently for two years to go to university at all.

I dont think D is a that bad, I have heard many people go from D to A etc from AS to A level. I was using the same revision technique as in GCSE which may have been my downfall.
Reply 5
I dont think D is a that bad, I have heard many people go from D to A etc from AS to A level. I was using the same revision technique as in GCSE which may have been my downfall.

Don't get me wrong, a D isn't bad in Biology, but you won't get many uni offers with a D.
Don't get me wrong, a D isn't bad in Biology, but you won't get many uni offers with a D.

True, but AS is linear so these grades dont count towards the final A level grade. So I can just work harder this year to get better grades and apply next year which I am fine with. The D doesnt bother me but the fact that the school isnt letting me continue is annoying me, as I have to find a different course to do now.
True, but AS is linear so these grades dont count towards the final A level grade. So I can just work harder this year to get better grades and apply next year which I am fine with. The D doesnt bother me but the fact that the school isnt letting me continue is annoying me, as I have to find a different course to do now.

I guess just have to try and convince them some how, my college you only needed to pass (get an E) to continue the course.
Reply 8

I know, I did A Level Biology. People usually get the same or one grade above from their AS grades. Schools know what they're doing more than you do.
I know, I did A Level Biology. People usually get the same or one grade above from their AS grades. Schools know what they're doing more than you do.

Yeah they are right most of the time. But there are also times where the student pulls up their grades. It is hard but not impossible. There are many success stories that people do really bad (E's etc) in AS but turn it around in A2. I know a few of them personally as well.
Original post by Alexty28
I guess just have to try and convince them some how, my college you only needed to pass (get an E) to continue the course.

What college is that? I might seriously come there because my school is being stubborn right now.
Yeah they are right most of the time. But there are also times where the student pulls up their grades. It is hard but not impossible. There are many success stories that people do really bad (E's etc) in AS but turn it around in A2. I know a few of them personally as well.

It's very unlikely.

Quick Reply

Latest