A-Levels Watch

rocket2884
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
What do you guys think about taking Government & Politics, Economics and Psychology at A-Levels. Is this a good combination. Do I have a good chance of going to a Russell group university if I take these subjects. Will I have a good salary and job by taking these courses.
TheProctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Though I can't speak for G&P or Economics, I am currently taking Psychology and it's very enjoyable. In AS Psychology I looked at: prejudice, obedience, memory (short-term, long-term, reconstructive, brain damage etc.), the nervous system, drugs, aggression, brain structure, Freud's theory of psychodynamics, hormones, behavioural conditioning, behaviour modification, social learning and phobias (alongside some other bits). In fact it's a subject which has allowed me to learn the most about myself and improve my personal life.

It really depends on whether or not you want a particular career in the future or go into research. If there is a specific job in mind (which I recommend you research the crap out of before you set your mind to it 100% - go speak to people who do it for example), then look at what degree the job requires. Then look at what A-Levels most Universities ask for for that specific degree. Then, you have your choices.

In terms of employment, I personally think that the sciences (like maths, physics, chemistry, biology etc.) will yield the most opportunities (they're the most sought after, in my opinion). Same for Universities, though many courses just ask for a set of A-Level grades and not require you to have studied a particular subject at A-Level.

It does look like a good combination but that of course depends on what you want to do. If you don't know yet what course/job, just do the subjects you really enjoy doing and you'll find that out later. Follow your passions

If want help with anything else, let me know
rocket2884
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by TheProctor)
Though I can't speak for G&P or Economics, I am currently taking Psychology and it's very enjoyable. In AS Psychology I looked at: prejudice, obedience, memory (short-term, long-term, reconstructive, brain damage etc.), the nervous system, drugs, aggression, brain structure, Freud's theory of psychodynamics, hormones, behavioural conditioning, behaviour modification, social learning and phobias (alongside some other bits). In fact it's a subject which has allowed me to learn the most about myself and improve my personal life.

It really depends on whether or not you want a particular career in the future or go into research. If there is a specific job in mind (which I recommend you research the crap out of before you set your mind to it 100% - go speak to people who do it for example), then look at what degree the job requires. Then look at what A-Levels most Universities ask for for that specific degree. Then, you have your choices.

In terms of employment, I personally think that the sciences (like maths, physics, chemistry, biology etc.) will yield the most opportunities (they're the most sought after, in my opinion). Same for Universities, though many courses just ask for a set of A-Level grades and not require you to have studied a particular subject at A-Level.

It does look like a good combination but that of course depends on what you want to do. If you don't know yet what course/job, just do the subjects you really enjoy doing and you'll find that out later. Follow your passions

If want help with anything else, let me know
Thanks a lot!! That was really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Do you give blood?