The Student Room Group

Best places to sell electronic items

I have £2500 of finance available on a store credit card. I am in need of
cash at the minute so i was planning on buying something and then
selling it

Where could i get the best deal? I know i won't get the retail price but i don't want to get completely ripped off
Reply 1
Safest bet would be selling it on Gumtree, cash in hand.
Another option would be Ebay, but you'll have to pay 10% in fees which can be a huge amount if you're considering selling an item worth £2500.
Stay away from Cex and the like (if you value your hard earned money)
Musicmagpie
Original post by mrMagie
Safest bet would be selling it on Gumtree, cash in hand.
Another option would be Ebay, but you'll have to pay 10% in fees which can be a huge amount if you're considering selling an item worth £2500.
Stay away from Cex and the like (if you value your hard earned money)

I agree- ive brought dvd's and cd's from there. But never sold anything, you get next to nothing for them.
Original post by niteninja1
Musicmagpie

I didnt think you got much from selling stuff to them.
Original post by Emma:-)
I didnt think you got much from selling stuff to them.

You get a fairly competitive rate. Considering you don’t have to worry about returns etc
Reply 6
When i looked on their website i couldn't get a quote for a new laptop.
Original post by niteninja1
You get a fairly competitive rate. Considering you don’t have to worry about returns etc

Do you mean for buying or selling? If you're selling the losses can be huge, I just looked at what they offer for an iPhone X and it's £536 for selling, compared to £719 for buying which is a massive difference!
Original post by MUFC95
selling it

Where could i get the best deal? I know i won't get the retail price but i don't want to get completely ripped off

Is there any way you can sell off the card itself? You're likely to get more if you can just sell it to someone who wants to shop there, instead of buying laptops or whatever and trying to shift them yourself.
There is some absolutely terrible advice being given here.

How much cash do you need and in what time frame? Is the store card specific to one shop or is it more like a generic credit card? Do you need the cash for absolute essentials? To be clear, I am not trying to be high and mighty. I do however have a great deal of experience in the repercussions of bad debt on peoples lives.
Reply 10
Original post by MUFC95
selling it

This is a terrible idea. Your going to finance right now with a high interest card which will ruin your future?

You have to consider this; your buying a brand new item from a trusted source then selling it on less reliable sources. Obviously you're not going to get a £1 for £1 exchange value. Take a car, the second you purchase it and drive away from the dealer, it's worth £5,000 less to someone else.

Maybe your next question would be; How do i raise £2500 of cash quickly.
Is it good
The simplest pages to sell electronic items are the ones where people can buy items and goods in general, so amazon or ebay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending