The Student Room Group

i need some help ples :)

I honestly don't know how to start this but hello.
I need some help with choosing what I want to do after sixth form.
I "just finished" my A levels and got CCE (Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively), but I've decided to retake year 13 since my biology grade was so bad. I'm only retaking biology and I want to pick up applied science just to have something to do in sixth form.
I did get a place in uni but i honestly dont want an E in bio to be with me for the rest of my life. (Yes i do know that "grades don't define who you are" but it's really embarrassing)
I really want to do something which will help people but I have no idea on what that something is. I looked into child nurse course but I dont know if thats right for me.
I need some advice on what courses I could do.
If you have any ideas please share :tongue:
Thanks
Hey! Congrats on finishing your A-levels, I understand how stressful it is. You seem to have subjects focused on sciences and you said you want to help people, I think you should definitely focus on a medical based career. If you're looking into nursing, there are so many branches you can go out on.
At uni, options for nursing include adult nursing, child and young people nursing, learning disability nursing and mental health nursing. You could study an allied healthcare subject like operating department practice, physiotherapy, speach and language therapist or radiology? I'm about to start a paramedic practice degree which I would highly recommend due to personal career preferance haha.
If you want to study something medical related at uni, I would highly recommend getting as much experience as possible before you apply. This could be shadowing in relevant healthcare settings to the course you want to do or volunteering with things like St John Ambulance. When I went through the applicaiton process, I tended to find that the uni wants to see commitment and dedication from you before you even start the course. Due to the limited places on medical courses, they want to know you're the right person for the job.
Hope I've not waffled too much and hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for replying :tongue:
I applied for biomedical science this year but I don't think its right for me so I cancelled the application (and my whole application for 2018-19)
I'm going to start looking for a place to volunteer at because I know that this will help with the application process.
I need to start looking for a course around nursing too, I really want to work with children so maybe a children's nurse will be the course for me.
Thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest