How do modern languages dissertations work?

Watch this thread
eoj89
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone,

I'm about to start my first year of English Lit & French in about 2 weeks so this is probably really premature but because I'm studying French ab initio & have never studied a language before, I'm virtually clueless as to how language degrees work although having grown up with family in France I'm quite proficient in the language.

In my first year I have two compulsory language modules and two content modules for the French half of my degree, then in second year I have two compulsory language modules then two optional content modules.

However, I'm not sure as to whether I write my dissertation in my third year on my year abroad, or when I return for my fourth year. And I'm not sure whether the dissertation would be written in English about a topic related to my degree, or in French.

Is this down to personal preference/dependent on the uni?

Also, does anyone know where I could view some modern language dissertations online just to satisfy my curiosity?

Ta
FionaMG
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by eoj89)
Is this down to personal preference/dependent on the uni?
It may well depend on the uni and this is something it would be worth asking them about when you arrive, so that you know and understand what to expect.

Just to give you an example, at my daughter's uni Modern Languages students do their dissertation in their final year after returning from their year abroad. They are expected to write it in the language of the country where they spent their year abroad and to look for ideas about a subject/do some initial research during their year abroad.
However, students who are taking ML as a joint degree with another subject do their dissertation in the other subject and not in ML. So a student doing English Lit and French at that uni would not do a French dissertation at all; the dissertation would be English Lit.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads