AdrianHa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, EPQ states that it can be a project about anything that I want.
I want to analyse Batman comic books and write an essay about the Joker and Batman, sort of psychoanalysing them - I've already written about a 1000 words on the topic and my first EPQ lesson is on Friday.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to write an essay about the Joker and Batman for EPQ. I don't know what I'd name it, what the question would be. I just know I want to compare them as people and talk about their beliefs and philosophies, contrasting them and talking about their past. I also want to talk about some theories that people have about the characters. But, I came out of GCSEs with top grades and I'm not sure if this topic will get me that (I'm aiming for an A*).

Any advice?

Anyone, help?
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, your EPQ can be on any topic you want, however it is best to do it on something related to what you want to do in the future. Some universities (if this is what you want to do) will only consider an EPQ if it is related to the course you apply for, but some aren't bothered about the topic.

As for your title, whatever you choose it has to be evaluative. It can't be something descriptive like just describing their characteristics and pasts. It has to be something that you can research and find sources for which give you for and against arguments which you can then use to come to a conclusion. If you don't constantly evaluate through your essay you will really limit your marks. An example of a evaluative title could be "To what extent does nature or nurture better explain the different characteristics seen in Batman and the Joker?"

Another thing you have to consider is your research. To get the best marks you need a lot of sources from a variety of places such as websites, journals, books, documentaries, blogs, etc. It's also best to include some primary data (stuff you've done yourself) such as interviewing or emailing researchers/experts, a social experiment, questionnaire, etc. If your topic doesn't have many sources then you will need to rethink as you also get marks for evaluating the usefulness of your sources and the variety of types you have.

A big thing to know is that majority of your marks will come from the Logbook. This should be provided by the exam board and is a way for you to document all of your ideas, planning, problems you've faced, any changes you have made, etc. You could have a phenomenal essay but if you've written barely anything in your logbook, you won't get a good grade. Anytime you think of something, note it down. Anytime you make changes, report it and say why you did it. Evaluate your performance saying what went right, what went wrong and how you will fix it/get around the issue. Make plans and set yourself deadlines and include these in the logbook, automatic marks. Comment on if you've stayed on track for your deadlines and how/how not.

A few more tips I've got from the EPQ are: Write down every single source you look at, even if you just note down the URL or title. This will make your life so much easier when it comes to writing and referencing. Try to do primary data, even if it is awful you can get marks from planning, source variety and evaluating it. Don't ignore the logbook and don't be afraid to write too much, as long as what you are writing is quality.

Hope I've managed to help and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask (I completed my EPQ this year)!
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did EPQ this year (and got an A*) and yeahthatonethere gives good advice )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (420)
56.68%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.32%

Watched Threads