12 boys and n girls made some cupcakes.... How many children made cupcakes?

Watch
PenPaper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can you solve this question?
All help is appreciated, many thanks!

12 boys and n girls made some cupcakes. Every child made the same number of cupcakes. The total number of cupcakes made was n^2 + 10n -2. How many children made cupcakes?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PenPaper)

12 boys and n girls made some cupcakes. Every child made the same number of cupcakes. The total number of cupcakes made was n^2 + 10n -2. How many children made cupcakes?
Moved to the Maths forum

So you know the total number of children in terms of n right?
Then choose a variable name (eg. c) for the number of cupcakes each child makes. Use this information to find the total number of cupcakes made in terms of n and c. You can then equate that to the total number of cupcakes made in terms of n and solve to find the total number of cupcakes
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PenPaper)

the number of cupcakes divided by the number of children must be a whole number.

divide n2 + 10n - 2 by n + 12 using long division.

the remainder is a number r.... which means that r/{n + 12} must be a whole number....
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
the number of cupcakes divided by the number of children must be a whole number.

divide n2 + 10n - 2 by n + 12 using long division.

the remainder is a number r.... which means that r/{n + 12} must be a whole number....
Or that :laugh: Was trying to avoid it since it was in GCSEs and most GCSE students won't have done that but that's an awful lot simpler!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Or that :laugh: Was trying to avoid it since it was in GCSEs and most GCSE students won't have done that but that's an awful lot simpler!
that question is well hard for GCSE :mad:
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that question is well hard for GCSE :mad:
Yeah, doesn't quite look GCSE level to me :s but that's where it was :dontknow:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, doesn't quite look GCSE level to me :s but that's where it was :dontknow:
it is on this Senior Maths Challenge paper ( q 8 )

http://furthermaths.org.uk/docs/GroupRegional1617.pdf
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is on this Senior Maths Challenge paper ( q 8 )

http://furthermaths.org.uk/docs/GroupRegional1617.pdf
Ahh right...definitely not GCSE then :laugh:
In which case your method is much better :yep:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahh right...definitely not GCSE then :laugh:
In which case your method is much better :yep:
:five:
PenPaper
Rep:
?
Thank you all for your help!!
LowIQ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to the Maths forum

So you know the total number of children in terms of n right?
Then choose a variable name (eg. c) for the number of cupcakes each child makes. Use this information to find the total number of cupcakes made in terms of n and c. You can then equate that to the total number of cupcakes made in terms of n and solve to find the total number of cupcakes
I got the total in terms of c and n as cn+12c but how would you solve n^2+10n-2=cn+12c
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LowIQ)
I got the total in terms of c and n as cn+12c but how would you solve n^2+10n-2=cn+12c
I think (haven't actually done it admittedly) if you move it over and make it equal to 0 you can solve the quadratic with cs in it. However the approach in post 3 would be much simpler
LowIQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think (haven't actually done it admittedly) if you move it over and make it equal to 0 you can solve the quadratic with cs in it. However the approach in post 3 would be much simpler
Yes I’ve tried post 3 and it was much easier but I’d like to try your method as well
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LowIQ)
Yes I’ve tried post 3 and it was much easier but I’d like to try your method as well
It may be wrong (was half asleep when I wrote that tbh) but as I said above equating to 0 and solving as a quadratic seems like the best next step
LowIQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Therefore I have n^2+10n-cn-2-12c=0 then how would I factorise this?
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LowIQ)
Therefore I have n^2+10n-cn-2-12c=0 then how would I factorise this?
You'll want all the n^2s together then all the ns with their coefficient factored out then the two remaining terms. Not sure if that makes sense sorry...
LowIQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll want all the n^2s together then all the ns with their coefficient factored out then the two remaining terms. Not sure if that makes sense sorry...
So n^2 +n(10-c)-2(1+6c)=0
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LowIQ)
So n^2 +n(10-c)-2(1+6c)=0
I'd distribute the 2 in the final bracket but yep, now quadratic formula (which I'm praying solves nicely since I haven't tried this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
PenPaper
Rep:
?
Here's the solution I finally got:
n^2 +10n - 2 / n+12 = n - 2 [r=22]
and you should get a remainder of 22, which equals to n, the number of girls!

wow...

But thank you soooo much for your help!!! @the bear you are correct, this really wasn't gcse, i found that this was actually a question from the UKMT senior maths challenge!
LowIQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd distribute the 2 in the final bracket but yep, now quadratic formula (which I'm praying solves nicely since I haven't tried this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
So a is 1, b is (10-c) and c is (1+6c) but that wouldn’t work and if I did a is 1, b is 1 and c is -2 then the answer is 1 and -2 so have I done something wrong?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.82%
No (67)
39.18%

Watched Threads