The Student Room Group

Would bromomethane and oh- undergo Sn2 or Sn1 mechanism?

Bromomethane is not a primary halogen as it’s not bonded to a carbon groups so which mechanism would happen in nucleophilic susbstitution?
Reply 1
Original post by Janej77
Bromomethane is not a primary halogen as it’s not bonded to a carbon groups so which mechanism would happen in nucleophilic susbstitution?

???

it's a primary halogenoalkane, and must undergo Sn2
Original post by marupe
???

it's a primary halogenoalkane, and must undergo Sn2

I thought primary halogenoalkane needs to have a R group bonded to the carbon to the halogen? Or did I get that wrong?
Reply 3
Original post by Janej77
I thought primary halogenoalkane needs to have a R group bonded to the carbon to the halogen? Or did I get that wrong?

Wait it's not primary but has no carbon groups. Do you know why having more carbon groups changes the pathway from Sn2 to Sn1?
Original post by marupe
Wait it's not primary but has no carbon groups. Do you know why having more carbon groups changes the pathway from Sn2 to Sn1?

Is it having more carbon groups would make the carbocation more stable? The more stable the carbocation, the easier the halogen breaks off?
Reply 5
Original post by Janej77
Is it having more carbon groups would make the carbocation more stable? The more stable the carbocation, the easier the halogen breaks off?

yes, so having no carbon groups means the carbocation is not stabilised. So the Sn1 pathway doesn't occur, hence Sn2 :smile:
Original post by marupe
yes, so having no carbon groups means the carbocation is not stabilised. So the Sn1 pathway doesn't occur, hence Sn2 :smile:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest