Callum9812
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey folks. As an aspiring BCL candidate, I'm searching for some advice on how to better my cv and changes of gaining entry to such a competitive course. I've just completed my first year at a top Russell group university, attaining a first(70), placing me in the top 3 percent of the year group. This year I also secured a short internship with a top law firm and took part in an array of sports, competing in one at national level. However, I understand entry selection for the BCL is highly focused on academics, so I am searching for activities that will strengthen my chances and am unsure whether traditional options like pro-bono work or mooting will really bolster my cv when I propose to do a BCL focused on public/constitutional law. Are there any activities related to the public law area specifically that I could do that would highlight my interest in this area outside mere module marks.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The bcl website publishes a profile book of BCL/MJur students every year, this is quite a useful guide to the kind of extra curriculars that seem to go down well. Most applicants who are going straight from undergrad have one or more of the following:

Publications (including in student journals)
Mini Pupillages
Pro-bono experience
Research assistant work
Vacation Schemes (probably less relevant if you're into constitutional law)

Very few have all of the above (I certainly didn't and still got an offer)

Your best bet to strengthen your application would probably be to try and get some mini pupillages at public law sets, write some articles/case comments for the student journal/blog (if your uni has one), approach lecturers in relevent subjects to see if they could give you some research assistant experience etc.

Also, remember that references are a significant element of the application (probably more important that ECs) so make sure you spend your second year cultivating good relationships with your lecturers.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads