The Student Room Group

A good spring week cover letter template.

Can anyone recommend a good template to follow strictly? Thanks.
Why firm
Why role
Why you

Literally, that.

Following an obvious template is immediate rejection, recruiters see through it.

2 of the 3 paragraphs above are unique to the organisation, and the last paragraph is unique to you - no online resource will cover that.
Reply 2
Original post by BusMan21
Why firm
Why role
Why you

Literally, that.

Following an obvious template is immediate rejection, recruiters see through it.

2 of the 3 paragraphs above are unique to the organisation, and the last paragraph is unique to you - no online resource will cover that.

Of course following a template word for word would be a foolish thing to do, but it does give a good idea on what to write. I found this template http://prntscr.com/krhk3h which basically answers all the 3 questions you wrote, so I will be writing something along the same lines. Thanks.
Original post by poohead23
Of course following a template word for word would be a foolish thing to do, but it does give a good idea on what to write. I found this template http://prntscr.com/krhk3h which basically answers all the 3 questions you wrote, so I will be writing something along the same lines. Thanks.

That just seems too generic to me. I've seen that before and i'm sure a lot of people would be using the same one. Avoid this if you want to stand out amongst the other applicants.
What your studying and where you saw the advert

2 skills you have demonstrated in previous work experience
why role
why firm
Polite ending
Reply 5
Original post by Grade A
That just seems too generic to me. I've seen that before and i'm sure a lot of people would be using the same one. Avoid this if you want to stand out amongst the other applicants.

I understand, I meant I would follow the general idea of each paragraph, not to copy it word for word. For example, first para I would introduce myself and state what division I am applying for. Second para, I would mention why I am interested in the division through my personal experience etc etc
I understand, I meant I would follow the general idea of each paragraph, not to copy it word for word. For example, first para I would introduce myself and state what division I am applying for. Second para, I would mention why I am interested in the division through my personal experience etc etc

That's a good plan. Remember to sound passionate. It's like the personal statement all over again right?:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Grade A
That's a good plan. Remember to sound passionate. It's like the personal statement all over again right?:biggrin:

Yeah, I've had direct experience relating to the one of the divisions in IB that I am applying for, so for the two main questions: why division and why you, I am hoping to integrate both questions into one para and say through my personal experience working at the risk department, I became very much interested in using statistics to measure volatility of investment funds etc and had to use problem solving/teamwork to complete certain tasks etc, do you think this would be a good idea?
Yeah, I've had direct experience relating to the one of the divisions in IB that I am applying for, so for the two main questions: why division and why you, I am hoping to integrate both questions into one para and say through my personal experience working at the risk department, I became very much interested in using statistics to measure volatility of investment funds etc and had to use problem solving/teamwork to complete certain tasks etc, do you think this would be a good idea?

I'm not a pro in this area, but i'll tag someone who is @gr8wizard10. Wizard, could you help with the question i've just quoted?

wouldn't say you became interested in using stats to measure volatility, that sounds disingenuine

perhaps take an approach to suggest you learned that in statistics' application in finance led your interests..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending