The Student Room Group

Contraceptive pill

I’ve been through 3 different types of contraceptive pills and they all resulted in me gaining serious depression, so I stopped taking them as soon as I knew. It’s put me off trying any others, however the doctors say sometimes it’s just a matter of trial and error. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've heard other women having these sorts of problems. Have you tried alternate forms of contraception? Like the injection, implant or IUD?
why do you use contraception
Original post by vicvic38
I've heard other women having these sorts of problems. Have you tried alternate forms of contraception? Like the injection, implant or IUD?

I haven’t actually tried those no, what is the IUD? The things that puts me off of them is that once they’ve been put inside of me, it’s harder to get them out, so if they result in the same symptoms, it won’t be as easy to get rid of them as it was to just stop taking a pill if that makes sense?
Reply 4
Have you tried the mini-pill? I had the same experience when taking the combined pill, however eventually tried the mini-pill and found it much better. I didn't tolerate the oestrogen in the combined pill very well.
Original post by emmyjanejacko
I haven’t actually tried those no, what is the IUD? The things that puts me off of them is that once they’ve been put inside of me, it’s harder to get them out, so if they result in the same symptoms, it won’t be as easy to get rid of them as it was to just stop taking a pill if that makes sense?

Well, your GP can advise you further on these sorts of matters.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/iud-coil/
Original post by Laudanum
Have you tried the mini-pill? I had the same experience when taking the combined pill, however eventually tried the mini-pill and found it much better. I didn't tolerate the oestrogen in the combined pill very well.

One of the three pills was actually the mini pill yes, it’s the equivalent to the coil and has the same side effects so I tried it, but gave me the same symptoms! I think I may be just prone to it.
Reply 7
Original post by Vinny C
Bloody hell... stop sleeping around. Someone had to say it!

Some people are on contraception for other purposes, such as to control painful periods. Or to control acne. Or to regulate hormones. And some of us are in committed relationships but don't want to have babies yet. Or we want to control the number of kids we have. I don't particularly want 20 kids, so I need to use contraception.
Reply 8
You could try using the copper IUD. There's no hormones so it won't have any effects on your mood. It's not suitable if you have heavy periods or painful periods as it can make things worse. If you have ever had fibroids, it's not recommended.
Moved to sexual health OP
Original post by katf
Some people are on contraception for other purposes, such as to control painful periods. Or to control acne. Or to regulate hormones. And some of us are in committed relationships but don't want to have babies yet. Or we want to control the number of kids we have. I don't particularly want 20 kids, so I need to use contraception.

Exactly. Am a virgin lesbian and i take birth control because PCOS makes my periods awful
people are so judgemental smh
Reply 10
Original post by Vinny C
Sure... like I would try 28 kinds of hangover pills all with side effects and then complain about them.

OP isn't complaining. She's just asking for advice on alternative forms of contraception. And she's only tried 3 different pills and they've all had serious side effects. Pretty normal to want medication that doesn't cause horrendous side effects.
Reply 11
I have no idea what Vinny is on so ignore him.

I do suggest talking to your GP about other options I would consider the POP pill so you can see how you react to that without getting an implant in that's what I did before switching to implant as they will make you wait a while before you can get it removed.

The copper coil may also be great as its non hormonal, you'll find one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest