Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

so ill be starting at Royal Holloway end of September and I can't figure out my travel plan.
    I don't use trains often, especially not out of zones 1-4, so I'm a little confused on what passes / tickets I should be buying.

what I've got so far is the following:
    buy a zones 1-4 monthly oyster travel card (get 1/3 off on student oysters) and then buy daily SWR tickets from Waterloo to Egham which I believe will be £12 if I buy the 16-25 railcard and get discount.

I know that Oysters only work up to Feltham so i guess I could instead buy a zones 1-6 monthly travel card on my oyster and then buy an monthly extension ticket from Feltham to Egham? however would that mean I need to get off to tap out my oyster then get on another train? Would I automatically be charged a full fare if I don't get off at Feltham and tap out my oyster ?

im honestly so confused and have no idea what is the cheapest way. I've estimated my cost will be about £3,000 a year if I go in 5 days a week.

if anyone has made this commute to Royal Holloway I would really appreciate if you could tell me what travel cards you bought etc.

if anyone knows about trains and could help me out. would really appreciate it! I'm so nervous about starting university and the travel is just stressing me out so much, I also don't want to be overpaying if there is a way for me to reduce costs.

any help will be much appreciated ! thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest way will be Waterloo (Waterloo and City from Bank is really quick) and then get a season pass for Egham, ask at the ticket desk, they'll help.

You won't want to get out and tap at Feltham because you'll have to wait for another train and that is long, won't be cheaper.

Don't be nervous! The journey is fine - you'll get used to it and you prob won't have to come into campus five days a week. Also, ask at the SU when you start because Royal Holloway has a lot of commuter students so they will also be able to help. You will get used to it in no time and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldernWiser)
    Cheapest way will be Waterloo (Waterloo and City from Bank is really quick) and then get a season pass for Egham, ask at the ticket desk, they'll help.

You won't want to get out and tap at Feltham because you'll have to wait for another train and that is long, won't be cheaper.

Don't be nervous! The journey is fine - you'll get used to it and you prob won't have to come into campus five days a week. Also, ask at the SU when you start because Royal Holloway has a lot of commuter students so they will also be able to help. You will get used to it in no time and you'll be fine.
    Ah I see, thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    I will be travelling from East London to Royal Holloway everyday this year too.

The route I use is DLR (from Royal Victoria) to Canning Town, then Underground from Canning Town to Waterloo, then Overground from Waterloo to Egham. It will take around 2 hours including walking up the Egham hill.

Just use your Oyster/contactless payment from East London to Waterloo. A season ticket between Waterloo and Egham will cover the rest of the journey.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.