Can I stop being autistic?

Watch
Lenonraider720
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder and autism.
A professional has tested me for them all but autism but my parents think I’m autistic, I show autistic traits and my psychologist thinks I am from what I’ve described. Reason I haven’t been tested for autism is because of the long waiting list.
However, I only show autistic traits in front of my parents and no one else. I am completely ‘normal’ in front of friends, strangers and even siblings. Anyone know what causes this? Personally I think it’s because I’m so comfortable around my parents.
I don’t know whether my personality disorder causes an autistic personality or whether I actually have autism but what would be the difference anyway? I guess autistic people would also show straits to other people than parents.
I honestly believe I can stop showing autistic traits around my parents but I think it would be insanely difficult. Reason I want to stop is because my mum says she doesn’t like me when I act in a certain way( showing autistic traits) and says I’m misbehaving. Thing I can’t control it and it’s basically an automatic response and sometimes I act in a certain way without thinking or realising. I like to think I’m intelligent so would be able to control it over time but am worried it will lead to more distress and depression(as I feel it’s a coping mechanism in a way).
I’m off to uni in 2 weeks but will still occasionally see parents but I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how I’ll cope at uni and I would never show autistic traits in front of friends or strangers( I know that for a fact). I would never show autistic traits in front of a girlfriend because of the anxiety of being judged.
Any advice would be good guys.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lenonraider720)
I have depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder and autism.
A professional has tested me for them all but autism but my parents think I’m autistic, I show autistic traits and my psychologist thinks I am from what I’ve described. Reason I haven’t been tested for autism is because of the long waiting list.
However, I only show autistic traits in front of my parents and no one else. I am completely ‘normal’ in front of friends, strangers and even siblings. Anyone know what causes this? Personally I think it’s because I’m so comfortable around my parents.
I don’t know whether my personality disorder causes an autistic personality or whether I actually have autism but what would be the difference anyway? I guess autistic people would also show straits to other people than parents.
I honestly believe I can stop showing autistic traits around my parents but I think it would be insanely difficult. Reason I want to stop is because my mum says she doesn’t like me when I act in a certain way( showing autistic traits) and says I’m misbehaving. Thing I can’t control it and it’s basically an automatic response and sometimes I act in a certain way without thinking or realising. I like to think I’m intelligent so would be able to control it over time but am worried it will lead to more distress and depression(as I feel it’s a coping mechanism in a way).
I’m off to uni in 2 weeks but will still occasionally see parents but I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how I’ll cope at uni and I would never show autistic traits in front of friends or strangers( I know that for a fact). I would never show autistic traits in front of a girlfriend because of the anxiety of being judged.
Any advice would be good guys.
please start by destroying the mindset that autism is a bad thing. it isnt.

your parents cannot control you. show your autistic traits. its none of their (?!*")ing business.

if you got a girlfriend and she dumped you for your autistic traits its her loss.

sincerely, an autistic
Lenonraider720
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by todorokishouto)
please start by destroying the mindset that autism is a bad thing. it isnt.

your parents cannot control you. show your autistic traits. its none of their (?!*")ing business.

if you got a girlfriend and she dumped you for your autistic traits its her loss.

sincerely, an autistic
I definitely don’t think autism is a bad thing sorry if you got that impression. I’m just upset because my mum doesn’t like me showing autistic traits and I want to be liked from my parents etc.
jdijx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
there's nothing bad about having autism lmao, what type of autism do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?

edit: **** i just realised I read that wrong and you haven't actually been tested that you're actually autistic, my bad lmfao...
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lenonraider720)
I definitely don’t think autism is a bad thing sorry if you got that impression. I’m just upset because my mum doesn’t like me showing autistic traits and I want to be liked from my parents etc.
please dont feel like you have to please your parents. explain to them that this is just you. theres nothing they can do about it.

also, whatever you do, dont let them put you in therapy because of this. aba is living hell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (93)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.37%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.84%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
29.79%

Watched Threads