My mother wants to put camera in my room when I move to halls Watch

Jammie_x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s against uni accommodation policy anyway it will be - just tell them that. That’s too much. Why do they want camera in your room?? They will see you getting changed and everything... you could easily just dispose of the camera anyway tbf
MezmorisedPotato
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it is clear your mother doesn't trust you enough to live an independent life while at university and forgets she can't always be watching over you. You need to have a serious conversation about why this is wrong on so many different levels and what it means for the people living with you in your accommodation.

Sometimes, strict parents are an issue and you may still have to find a middle ground (even though ideally it's best if this doesn't happen). I'm sure if you discuss this with your university team, they can provide a letter as to why this isn't allowed. Many policies of the halls do not allow for the modification of a room in any way like this. The only way something can be done is if it is a portable camera connected on mains resting on a table or a disguised object.

I genuinely think personal privacy while you are at university is really important and try to explain this to her even though it seems that they are stubborn sometimes.
FocusedNinja
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tell her the uni will kick you out if they find a camera and will not refund any tution and accomadation paid
(Original post by EleventhDoctor)
I'm an international student, and I have very strict parents.

This October I'll start an undergraduate course in London, and my mother wants to put a camera in my room at halls, and I certainly do not like this idea.

Could anyone give me any proofs whether it is illegal or not, so I could know if I can comehow persuade my mother not to do this.

I will live in Southside halls, if that matters.
caz1426
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take a picture of the room from the angle the camera is at, print it out and stick it in front of the camera and Bob's your uncle! 😂
Jessica Macc
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear friend from international land....

The word NO ! ..is a complete sentence
Rowan.c
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tell her the university would not allow it - mine wouldn't for example, and express you with to be trusted and also have your personal space/ privacy respected.

It's your life and new chapter now. Good luck
Zaki.clarke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I can clearly see this is a cultural difference lol But if I were you if you want solid evidence google the law about cameras in private properties I don’t believe it is allowed in halls anywayBut if that’s not good enough for her contact the agency or company who owns the halls or the uni and explain the situation and your against the idea
larabw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get in touch with your university student advisors, see if they can send a letter / email to your parents explaining why installing a camera on the premises would be a violation of your human rights (and not something acceptable in the university halls). Hope you get it sorted!
TheCabbage
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tell her that the university accommodation rules don't allow unnecessary use of electricity and constantly powering a camera goes directly against that rule.
Zaki.clarke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Explain it’s against the contract with the halls agency or tell her the uni doesn’t allow it but if you want like an official document you could either contact some or just fake a letter type it up yourself and steal the official logo and **** from google images but I think that might be fraud😅
Humz007
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd start masturbating right in front of it. That'd teach her
AddictedSquirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You gotta show her she is going to far. This is a bit over the top but threaten to commit suicide. Go on hunger strike. Get some fake blood and pretend to self harm. If they check your search history google things about if a camera in uni is legal. Then google how to deal with strict parents. Then google how to tie a noose and if hanging yourself hurts. Yeah this may be extreme, but you might trick them into beliveing they have pushed you too far.

Im going to assume your from asia. Like you either need to go over the top and send a message, or grow a pair of balls and rebel. Like I got beat as a kid, remember pain is temporary, pride lasts forever. And really, your parents can't force you to do anything. They can beat you with a stick, But so ****. a bit of pain isn't the end of the world. They can scream in your face, but really who cares?

You gotta learn that they only control you if you let them control you.
TallyiaBoo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

This October I'll start an undergraduate course in London, and my mother wants to put a camera in my room at halls, and I certainly do not like this idea.

Could anyone give me any proofs whether it is illegal or not, so I could know if I can comehow persuade my mother not to do this.

1. I don't think there's any way the uni / halls would even allow it, so you could at the very least spin it into "the uni would kick me out if I had a camera set up in my room";

2. I know how it is to have strict parents, but uni is definitely a chance to distance yourself from that strictness and use it, however slowly, to establish your own freedom. it'll have to be done in ways that are personal to you and your family/parents/mother, but, it'll be worth it. x
Jodie09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Little bit weird but I wouldn’t let my mother put a camera in my room. Normally the unis will test anything electrical before it’s put into the room, etc TVs, computers, so if she seriously wanted to put a camera in your room, she would have to speak to the uni first as presume that would have to be safey tested.
username4149864
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get uni staff to take it down when your out. Then claim the university took it down after inspection and that you had nothing to do with it.

Or through your parent under the bus.
ballsack emperor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
jerk off enough times and she'll stop watching it!
MPH125
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Your options:

The honest route - Tell her that's an insane request and that you're not a child. Ask her to respect your privacy and give you the distance you seek. She doesn't even have the right to insist on that.

The peacekeeping route - Let her set it up, then have it mysteriously break. Things happen, products fall, degrade or just don't work out the box. Hey, that's life.

The drama kid route - Implore her not to, say hacking is a prolific problem in London (lol, what does she know?), that if she does, it's guaranteed to be hacked, and once it is, it's a huge safety risk. Use jargon like the fact that your IP address can locate you exactly, or sell the idea that thieves and perverts use it to case rooms. She wouldn't want to risk her own kid's safety just to spy right? (Least recommended, but also, y'know, the most interesting)
ballsack emperor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jerk off enough times and she'll stop watching it
ryan422
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Uhm that's pretty f***ed up. I'd tell that is NOT happening. Massive breach of privacy.
StudentInDebt
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm assuming you're over 18, thus it would be illegal and it's going against your right to privacy. Here's a website that talks about it in more detail.

https://reolink.com/can-parents-put-...en-room/#part1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?