I want to study Medicine. Currently on an Access to HE (Science) course. Options?

Watch
Sidian
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Currently I'm on an access to science course and have a few GCSEs (not as many as the med schools like, but it's unclear if the requirements are the same for access courses) and no A levels. As far as I can tell, my options are the following:

1) Complete the access course and then take a year to work on my credentials; get some more GCSEs if necessary, do some more volunteering/work in healthcare settings and then take the UKCAT/GAMSAT and apply to the few medical schools that accept access to science courses

OR

2) Complete the access course and apply to a different degree (but somewhat related, Life Sciences for instance) and then try to apply in the future through GEM (graduate entry medicine)

Which of these sounds like a better option? Has anyone done anything similar?
Inspiringvisons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are some access courses that are specifically geared towards people looking to apply to medicine and other health professions so if possible you should try to find those courses or you should If possible to do A levels .
Yes it is expensive but unlike access courses they do not expire within 2 years and every university accepts them

Do not take the second option as it is one
Extremely expensive
and
Extremely competitive

if possible you should try for undergraduate courses in medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.61%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (352)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.63%

Watched Threads