The Student Room Group
Maths is probably more respected, i'm doing a kind of mixture of the two, "Economics and Geography", so econ is like applied maths, it links into geography with models etc, and the geography is just human, not physical.
Reply 2
For job prospects I'd say maths.
Maths is probably the more respected degree, but choose what you enjoy most and ultimately feel you will do better in.
Sustainabilty is key - and geog is going 2 b massively employable
do u really think geography has better employability?
yes in fact staistically it does
which one are you better at?
bw505
yes in fact staistically it does

Really? Show me some statistics.
I think the skills you gain from a Maths degree will be a lot more sellable than the skills gained from a Geography degree.
Reply 10
BingBangBong
I think the skills you gain from a Maths degree will be a lot more sellable than the skills gained from a Geography degree.

That's not necessarily true. Geography is a very flexible subject, it gives students a wide range of skills. It's very desirable.

I'll be back with more, but why not concentrate on which degree you'd enjoy more. That's something you need to be thinking about.

Most graduate jobs don't even specifiy a degree subject. Doing a geography degree that you'll enjoy more, and getting a 2:1, will work out better in terms of employment prospects than getting a 2:2 in maths (or vice versa).

Edit: - What do you hope to do as a job? Postgrad study is something you need to consider also, but only if you have a fair idea about your career and whether you are going to do some.

Take some trust info from Prospects (www.prospects.ac.uk) from "options with your subject". Here's Geography

www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_geography/Your_skills/p!eFjmLkc

Here's mathematics

www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_mathematics/Your_skills/p!elkiXeg

But, believe me, it's your personal qualities, degree classification and work experience that will matter more than your degree subject.
Reply 11
Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste those links, or go through the main prospects site.

I can't edit my previous post for some stupid reason.
Reply 12
Callipygian
Maths is probably more respected, i'm doing a kind of mixture of the two, "Economics and Geography", so econ is like applied maths, it links into geography with models etc, and the geography is just human, not physical.

You can't just say economics is applied Maths... that's more like Physics. There certainly is a significant amount of Maths in Economics... but don't just call Economics applied Mathematics! It's a lot more theoretical than just "applied mathematics". My friend does straight Economics at LSE and he said there is a lot more theory work than he initially expected.

To the OP: Do what you would enjoy the most! It is true that Mathematics lands you with better job prospects, especially in Finance.

Are there any joint honours degrees consisting of Maths and Geography out there?
Reply 13
Just please don't base such an important decision ona poll of a bunch of strangers.

Do what you re most comfortable with, they are both fine degrees.

I never actually thought of that. Doh.

Yes, you can do a JH. I'm only using Durham as an example as I know it so well and it has one of the top geography depts in the country (but not one of the top maths depts :frown: )

http://www.dur.ac.uk/geography/research/undergrad/modules/

Joint honours with economics or joint honours with maths.

Other unis will offer JHs. You can also take a combined honours in the social sciences for a more broader degree.

A JH or combines degree may not be suitable if you're really looking to study a subject in depth. Still, have a look around and see how the syllabuses fit your interest

Latest