kads93
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m a soon to be Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Southampton and was wondering if it’s customary for students to get Wednesday afternoons off? I have a practical lab engineering maths session timetables for Wednesday afternoons but on the teaching and learning methods for this module it says “twice weekly timetabled workshops available” which I’m assuming is the practical lab session. The wording of that makes me feel like that session is not mandatory which would mean I would have Wednesday afternoons off if I wanted to???
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kads93)
Hi, I’m a soon to be Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Southampton and was wondering if it’s customary for students to get Wednesday afternoons off? I have a practical lab engineering maths session timetables for Wednesday afternoons but on the teaching and learning methods for this module it says “twice weekly timetabled workshops available” which I’m assuming is the practical lab session. The wording of that makes me feel like that session is not mandatory which would mean I would have Wednesday afternoons off if I wanted to???
:hi: Sorry for the lateness in getting back to you about this :hugs:
I am assuming that you've started now and it's been cleared up.
In case it hasn't, by that wording it sounds like there are two of these such workshops and you can go to either per week.

Actually all lectures/workshops are mandatory as such by the 5.5 clause in the University's policy (or something similar for MechEng).
However, most students do have a Wednesday afternoon off, I believe it's a sports thing :erm:

Your timetable at the point when you made this post could've been a draft and so I hope that it's shifted around a bit now in case you had a sporting event on the Wednesday.
You can always talk to your faculty office in Building 13 about this
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know if this applies to your subject, but is something Cheese touched upon above ^

Wednesday afternoons are typically varsity sports' training - so people in medicine etc. will get the afternoon off to train and/or compete. Of course, you don't have to take part in a sport, and just use the extra time to revise/sleep/go food shopping.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Btw... ever had to sleep in lecture theatre A? Is quite comfy until the cleaners come in and wake you up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (57)
18.94%
Unconditional if firmed (24)
7.97%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.66%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (9)
2.99%
No unconditional offers (209)
69.44%

Watched Threads